Unknown Silver Hallmarks on Cream Jug Please Help!

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
nmdc114

Unknown Silver Hallmarks on Cream Jug Please Help!

Post by nmdc114 »

Hi anyone! I need some help please. I have tried looking all over the place to find out what these hallmarks mean. They are on a Silver Cream Jug that I have owned for some time and I would like to know more about it. Can anyone help me please. I would be ever so grateful. Regards, nmdc114
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Don't know the maker, but the cartouche around the maker's initials sure looks like a map of Maine.
Regards, Tom
nmdc114

Post by nmdc114 »

Thanks Tom, I dont even know the Country of origin and wondered whether the three lions represented a particular country. Tom, could you tell me where Maine is. Thanks, Nigel
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

I think Tom was refering to the state of Maine in the U.S.A. The outline of the mark does bear a resemblance to the State's boundaries.

Checked my American and Canadian references, but could not find that exact mark. One possibility might be Towle Silversmiths, Newburyport, Massachusetts. They had a Paul Revere trademark that had the letters P and R in script. The problem is, I have only seen the PR letters in a rectangle shape cartouche.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/6136 ... 001ek5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best regards,
Pat.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Doesn't look like an American piece to me, gut feeling is that it's from South America and not particularly old. Maybe it's my monitor, but the initials in the odd shaped cartouche (country outline?) look like BR rather than PR. What does the engraving on the side say?

Cheryl ;o)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, back to British this goes. Knew the shape was geographic, with the help of my trusty 1973 Hammond Atlas and the three lion passants in the crest as a clue, ID'ed it as Guernsey, Channel Islands.
http://www.visitguernsey.com/map/?LocationId=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards, Tom
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Woohoo! Nice work, Tom. I was wayyyy off.

Cheryl ;o)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think Cheryl is right about the initials being BR. You might contact these folks to see if they made the piece.
http://www.bruce-russell.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards, tom
In 1977 the States of Guernsey allowed Bruce to introduce a unique channel island hallmarking system ....
Imagine that the "Q" is a date letter.
nmdc114

Thank you all so much!

Post by nmdc114 »

Thank you all so very much. I have emailed Bruce Russell to ask if they can confirm this to be their hallmark and asked if they could possibly give me an overview of the hallmark so that I can let everyone else know in this discussion what each mark represents. Once again, thank you for a most interesting and very informative discussion. Nigel
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Unknown Silver Hallmarks on Cream Jug Please Help!

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, this image appears the a progression of the Bruce Russell of Guernsey silvermithing concern.

It is now is Bruce Russell & Son, with a son "Simon". This mark looks like "SR" in the island of Guernsey. Not sure about the date letter "Y" or "K"? In another post on the Forum concerning "Bruce Russell", "P" was stated as date letter for 1989 so "Y" could be late 20th century and if "K" then possibly early 21st Century.

https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopi ... l+guernsey

Fishless
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Unknown Silver Hallmarks on Cream Jug Please Help!

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, worried I might possibly have "erased" my first image.

Fishless

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”