Unknown marks on spoon.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
juantotree
contributor

Unknown marks on spoon.

Post by juantotree »

Hi,

Can anybody help me identify these marks on a silver teaspoon, I have a feeling i have seen them before but can't remember where.

Thanks

Martin

Traintime
contributor

Re: Unknown marks on spoon.

Post by Traintime »

This is not an answer, someone is probably working on it. Until then, do you mean silver colored or "Silver" content confirmed. This could be a partial stamp with re-arranged letter order. Is this from the Western Hemisphere? If so, look at the American Marks section in the main menu. Again, not an answer but, one Merriman has similar letters in a singular stamp. Probably not yours, but you can compare yourself and so on. In addition, the listed mark for Mechanic's Sterling Company may not be complete. Once source shows additional lettering in that exact style below the pictographic mark. This was a flatware branch that did Sterling work. Again, no mark here to match to a broken mark if that's what you have. I'll let the experts steer you right.
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Thanks for the reply.

The spoon tests as silver and was bought in a job lot of other sterling flatware at a UK auction. I still have a feeling I have seen the marks before, possibly on this site, but I am struggling to track them down.

Martin
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Martin,

Welcome to the Forum.

I think it likely that the 'I' may well be a indicator of an Inverness spoon. The two stand-out silversmiths working in that town who's initials include 'A' and 'M', would be Alexander McLeod and Alexander MacRae.

These partial marks could be the result of making use of damaged punches, something that was likely very expensive to replace at this time. Although the 'M' does appear to be the last letter of the punch, this may well be the result of careful filing.

Speculation only I'm afraid.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... eod#p86707

and: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... RAE#p86710

Trev.
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Hi Trev,

That's an interesting observation, I definitely think you might be on to something there. Thanks for the welcome, I am however a longtime member of the forum but I have managed to lock myself out of my usual username and have had to re-register.

Many Thanks

Martin

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”