Provincial marks?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mk209
contributor

Provincial marks?

Post by mk209 »

Need help to identify these marks I can't find them listed in books so they may not be British after all?

Thanks.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Provincial marks?

Post by dognose »

Hi,

The spoon is Scottish.

That set of marks is attributed to Alexander Ross. There is uncertainty as to the location of Ross's workshops, but it is thought likely that it may have been situated at Dingwall. His working period is thought to be c.1760-c.1800.

Please remember in future posts to keep your images to within the 7" (18cm) width limits, or else people with smaller monitors may not see the whole image.

Trev.
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

Thanks Trev, I've only ever seen 'AR' with a sunburst for Alex Ross for Tain/Dingwall. The odd looking sideways 'S' I haven't seen before. I take it the maker is quite scarce?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I'm sure I've seen that backward 'S' before, but cannot recall the other marks with it.

There's no doubting the 'A·R' though, it definitely Ross's mark, and yes, one that's not often seen. Nice find.

Trev.
robert12
contributor

other examples

Post by robert12 »

Hi all,
just to add to the mix.
I have got 2 table spoons with these marks for comparison.
An interesting variation of marks on heavy and well made spoons.
https://db.tt/vMcPK9aD
https://db.tt/kAgdHozb
https://db.tt/LX4RnUIS

Estelle Quick the silver expert at Tain Museum had not seen the backwards S before.
Still a bit of a mystery though.

Bob
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

That's superb Bob, your spoons have just tied up all the known punches. There's an article in the Finial which sheds a bit more light on the chronological order of the marks. My spoon was suggested to be the first incarnation of the marks, yours tie up the 'S' with my marks. The article suggested the bird in flight mark may be last along with the sunburst as those punches appear to have been inherited by another maker who used those marks along with 'JH' at a later date.

Estelle Quick in her book 'A balance of Silver, the Story of the Silversmiths of Tain' could not find any evidence of the maker in Tain or surrounding areas. There was a new theory of the marks pointing towards Dumfries mentioned in the article but I've not found any more info since that article was published.

The article was by Colin T Fraser, FSA Scot.

Here's a link to the article: http://www.incorporationofgoldsmiths.or ... -Marks.pdf

Interesting stuff, I'm very happy to have found such an interesting spoon, it's my first Scottish provincial spoon.
robert12
contributor

Post by robert12 »

Hi,
pleased to throw a bit more light on this set of marks.
I gave a copy of these marks to Estelle Quick recently and said feel free to share with
Colin.T.Fraser the expert in this field if he wishes to view them.
Perhaps the puzzle will be solved.
Still in my unsubscribed box. With a few others !
Enjoy hunting for more Scottish gems.

Bob
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

Something very familiar about these marks from banff..........Alexander Shirras c.1750

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

No, that is the American silversmith, Asa Sibley.

Trev.
buckler

Post by buckler »

Just to stir the pot there are several buckles which have a distinct Scots flavour which carry assorted AR marks . One, which was very similar to this one, including the position of the mullet was attributed by Charlie Stott of Hayward & Stott Limited to Alexander Rollo of Dundee c. 1790
I notice that Richard Turner is very coy in his book on these marks.
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

Years later and it still surprises me that this mark is associated with the name ‘Alexander Ross’ as this myth was completely quashed by Estelle Quick of the Tain museum. Alexander Ross was a name on a piece of Tain silver nothing to do with the AR mark.

Since then the only Dingwall spoons to be found were by Alexander Stewart.

Andy Taylor made this amazing discovery of the only known Dingwall marked teaspoons known so far.
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

There’s since been a few theories and the name of Alexander Robertson has been at the forefront, a silversmith from Dumfries whose working period matches the types of spoons found.
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

Recently came across 2 teaspoons with the familiar A.R and Sunburst.

I have an attribution to this maker that I’m currently working on so I really hope to get enough evidence together.

Matt.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”