Mysterious Colonial mug

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JBA

Mysterious Colonial mug

Post by JBA »

I've ruled out everywhere that I can search for- Not Cape or Canadian, which were my first suspicions. I wonder if it is either one of the West Indies or an unknown Chinese Export maker.

Couldn't get a good close up of the marks, so here are two, with different parts in focus.

Any ideas?
oel
co-admin

Re: Mysterious Colonial mug

Post by oel »

For kick offs.
The marks look like ‘real’ London marks.
The style of the mug Georgian.
I believe the mug could be original early China trade silver made early 19th century.
I would not be surprised the mug to be made by Cumshing; regarded as the one of the preeminent Chinese silversmiths and according to Crosby Forbes in Chinese Export Silver: 1785 to 1885, "stands without peer among early Export silversmiths." (p.74)

Oel
JBA

Post by JBA »

Apologies for the disappearing images- my website has gone through some changes, including the re-naming of all posted images, so these have fallen by the wayside. I will repost below for reference.

Thanks Oel for your opinion. I have been unable to confirm your (our) suspicion that it is China Trade, but I think it seems the most likely candidate. Do you have the "Chinese Export Silver" book by Forbes? I do not, because it's rather expensive, and this site is quite good on the subject. - I wonder if there are any marks illustrated in the book which do not appear on this site?
JBA

Post by JBA »

Apologies, it would help if I re-read the thread before posting again, and saw you'd already referenced the book!
JBA

Post by JBA »

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”