George Moore?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
paulh
contributor

George Moore?

Post by paulh »

This is a Hanoverian type teaspoon, which I think might be by George Moore of Limerick. He had two marks, one with a wavy edged rectangle and one like this with GM separated by a pellet within a plain rectangle. Can anyone confirm this or suggest an alternative. I don't have full access to my references at the moment and am in a state of temporary frustration.

Paul.

scorpio
contributor

Re: George Moore?

Post by scorpio »

Reference books, i.e, Bennett's 'Collecting Irish Silver' and Bowen & O'Brien's 'A Celebration of Limerick Silver' only show show G.M in a wavy rectangle. Jackson's shows this mark too but also GM (without pellet) in a different wavy rectangle with the comment 'noted by Jackson' but I've never come across any silver with this latter mark.

This web site shows G.M in a rectangle https://www.925-1000.com/IrishProvincial_02.html which the Jim Kemmy Municipal Museum (in Limerick) also attribute to George Moore http://museum.limerick.ie/index.php/Det ... ct_id/6520. This mark does not appear in the Irish silver reference books mentioned above. However, the mark on your spoon seems to have cut corners to the rectangle so not quite the same.

Having said that, the fact that is stamped twice in this manner does suggest it could be Irish Provincial and probably by George Moore. Perhaps you could forward images to Limerick Museum and see what the curator says.
paulh
contributor

Re: George Moore?

Post by paulh »

Thanks for your reply Scorpio. I found a mark such as this in a Bonham’s sale attributed to George Moore, but the one illustrated by the museum in Limerick does not have the cut corners as you pointed out. I will send them pictures of this piece as you suggested and await their opinion. In the meantime I will enjoy the continuing search.

Paul.

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”