Unknown Irish mark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Roland5555

Unknown Irish mark?

Post by Roland5555 »

This is a fork that the family says came from Ireland and eventually to the US with family early. I don't recognize a silver mark, so I apologize if this is plate. I read somewhere that Ireland may have handled that differently and I don't know what to look for. I don't have any idea of the large picture mark of the soldier's (?) arm with an arrow? The notes are my own looking at the information on this website. Any other thoughts appreciated.

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Unknown Irish mark?

Post by silvermakersmarks »

This is indeed an Irish mark and you have gone a fair way towards an identification. However I have to make one correction: the date is actually 1834 (the duty mark is the head of William IV who reigned until 1837). RG is, as you suggest, Richard Garde, a Cork silversmith. The harp is the Irish mark for sterling silver and Hibernia, at this period, was the mark of the Dublin Assay Office.

The engraving of the armoured arm holding an arrow is a family armorial; i.e. the symbol of the original owner. I believe that quite a few families used this but if you would like to while away a few hours you might like to browse through the book "Fairbairn's Crests", several editions of which are available online.

Phil
Roland5555

Post by Roland5555 »

Thank you again!
Roland5555

Post by Roland5555 »

May I ask two follow up questions? Is there any indication what the silver purity is? And what does the Letter stand for? "O". I thought it meant 1859. Thank you.
airgeadoir

Post by airgeadoir »

The silver purity is 92.5%, the sterling standard, denoted by the crowned harp punch. If you look up the date letter O you will note that in the style present on your fork, it is for 1834. Hope that helps!
John
Roland5555

Post by Roland5555 »

Yes, it does. Many thanks!

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”