Re: Identifying STERLING marks

Post by scorpio »

Isaac Solomon - Cork

Gordon
scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

An unusual STERLING mark with incuse 'STERLIN' followed by what looks like a small and quite worn intaglio 'G'.
So who could this mark belong to? It's on a fiddle pattern spoon, a pattern that arrived in Ireland about 1800, so that eliminates John Hillery and John Humphreys. This really only leaves James Heyland, described in a Cork Trade Directory as a Toyman (small worker) who, according to Douglas Bennett in Collecting Irish Silver, worked from 1784-1812. This spoon is attributed to him in its description. However, the I.H mark with large pellet between the initials that Bennett shows is very different to the mark on this spoon and I'm not sure that is a pellet (damaged punch or otherwise) between the initials. So, do these Sterling and maker's marks belong to James Heyland or if not, to whom do they belong?

Gordon
Argentum2
contributor

Post by Argentum2 »

Argentum2 wrote:Another punch used by John Nicholson c. 1785 with another type of maker's mark

A similar type mark used with John Nicholson c. 1785.
Argentum2
contributor

Post by Argentum2 »

Argentum2 wrote:Joseph Gibson:

One used by Gibson
Argentum2
contributor

Post by Argentum2 »

Another STERLING mark used by Carden Terry c. 1785

Argentum2
contributor

Post by Argentum2 »

A STERLIN mark used by Samuel Green c. 1810

http://db.tt/uYCxDznm

This is already posted on the forum
Argentum2
contributor

Post by Argentum2 »

A STERLING mark of Carden Terry c. 1785

Already on the forum
Argentum2
contributor

Post by Argentum2 »

John II & Nicholas Nicholson STERLING marks c. 1810

Already on the forum
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

Hi All - any ideas on this silver holy oil container? All the pieces are stamped STERLING. There is no makers mark. The person I acquired it from presumed it American because of the sterling stamp. However I am more inclined to think it Irish. The assembled container is 3 inches long and is made from heavy gauge silver. The cover is engraved Rev D OK. I think dates from 1st quarter 19th century. Interestingly the STERLING stamp is very similar to the one depicted in Argetum2's most recent post. The S is larger than the rest of the letters and there is a blemish line coming down from the left side of the letter I as in Argentum's. Any way of linking this to a maker? Also any idea of significance , if any, of the 'target' engraving to the base? Thanks John

Argentum2
contributor

Post by Argentum2 »

The following mark was used by James Warner about 1790 on a dessert spoon:

Argentum2
contributor

Post by Argentum2 »

Another mark used by Gibson, this one taken from a spoon c. 1795

Argentum2
contributor

Post by Argentum2 »

dognose wrote:Hi Argentum,

Such a list would be an interesting project, I'm not aware of such a resource existing. I suppose one spanner in the works may be a possible shared use of a punch, especially amongst the less prolific smiths.

It would also be great to know how many die-cutters were working in the provinces that were capable of producing such punches.

Trev.
Looking through these posts some interesting data emerges. Among shared STERLING punches, there is sometimes family and professional connections e.g John Nicholson and Joseph Gibson. Both shared a STERLING punch in a serrated border. Gibson was apprenticed to Nicholson and eventually married his daughter. Other examples could also be found. of such arrangements.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::: Is this an example of the "NICHOLS" although I believe it looks more like "NICHOLDS" and there is a "II" next to it>??

scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

The Cork family name was Nicholson per some sources including an advertisement inserted by the Nicholsons in the Hibernian Chronicle, 1791 or Nicolson per other sources including marks shown in 'Collecting Irish Silver'. The photos of your spoon are far too small and unclear to see exactly what the letters are apart from HOLD. Seems to be a smaller reserve of two letters at the end but again too blurred to make out. As there was never a D in the Nicholson/Nicholson name, the spoon is most definitely not by the Cork silversmiths. Looking at the drop, I doubt it's Irish.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Thank you, I found a list of the makers of "Old Sheffield Plate" and there is a reference to a "NICHOLDS" with a "Castle Hallmark" next to it, and these spoons are from that maker, which would make them true Old Sheffield Silver Plate and you can see a thin wire which was used in the construction of the spoons, I now believe these spoons to be from this maker.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Aguest,

I've entered the details of James Nicholds here: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 91#p140691

Trev.

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”