Odd mark on a teaspoon.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
paulh
contributor

Odd mark on a teaspoon.

Post by paulh »

This is an Irish Bright Cut teaspoon c1794. There is no apparent maker’s mark, but there is an odd feint mark below Hibernia and the Crowned Harp. It seems to be circle with a cross or a wheel or something I cannot imagine. Any thoughts anyone?

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Odd mark on a teaspoon.

Post by dognose »

Hi Paul,

Image Image

Image Image

Just my take on it, but I'm wondering if it's deliberately unreadable. My line of thinking is because I'm not comfortable with the Crowned Harp.

I haven't the opportunity at the moment to compare with other examples, but the tilt of the harp against the position of the crown is of concern, as is the amount of strings on the harp, which from memory, should be about five or six, whereas yours appears to have no more than four. But I'll confess to having a fascination with period fakes which does, on occasion, cause wishful thinking.

I should have the chance later this week to make a better comprasion with other examples, but hopefully someone can imput something a little more concrete in the meantime.

Regards Trev.
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Hello Trev,
Interesting theory. This is one of four. On the other three, the back of the Harp actually joins the Crown. On all of them the shield shapes are rather poor and Hibernia is almost unrecognisably ill defined. Irish silver is not my strong point, but a provincial pseudo mark might be a good explanation. I too like a good duty dodger or pseudo mark. I will look forward to forthcoming ideas.

Paul.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay in repling. I finally had the opportunity to view a friend's collection of Irish spoons.

My thoughts on the harp strings can be dismissed, I found several examples with three, four, and five strings, a variance that I thought had disappeared earlier. As for the tilt between the crown and the harp, I did find a couple of examples of the late 18th century mark with a slight gap, but nothing of the proportions on your spoon. I've added a couple of images below, but they did not photograph well.

Image Image

I'm wondering now if the gap could be the result of the reworking of the spoon handle post assay, and causing a stretch of the mark to one side.

Regards Trev.
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Thanks Trev. I will keep in in the 'oddities' file for now.

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”