Mystery Northern Irish spoon and fork?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
NorthernIreland2021

Mystery Northern Irish spoon and fork?

Post by NorthernIreland2021 »

Hi I was wondering if anyone could identify these marks on a spoon and fork given to us by family- we have no idea of age etc and assume they're Irish/British.
I had a look at the marks on the website to try and identify them but I can't make sense of them at all, apart from A1 which is superior quality- we thought perhaps they were false marks or fakes? There is also a serial number (?) of some description RD809292 but again I couldn't find anything about them.
The marks are identical on both the spoon and fork. Hopefully I''ve embedded the images correctly below
https://imgur.com/a/xt2lh2P
Many thanks,
Michael
oel
co-admin

Re: Mystery Northern Irish spoon and fork?

Post by oel »

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum. I believe the marks read: EPNS in gothic letters. For Electro Plated Nickel (with) Silver. Non precious base metal with thin layer of silver. A1 first quality silver plated.
For the RD number see:

https://www.925-1000.com/registry.html

Peter.
NorthernIreland2021

Post by NorthernIreland2021 »

Many thanks Peter!
Mystery solved :)
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Rd Number 809 282 means that design was registered in 1936 (the link given by Peter).
It does not indicate the year of production; if successful, the pattern was produced for years afterwards.
Regards
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Can we get embedded photos on this? It might seem trivial, but there is a china pattern from this era for the Great Northern Railway (Ireland) which may have a missing match of silverware. Just the kind of thing people removed for momentos. And it would have been produced in England.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”