Scots Fiddle pattern? Makers?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
joho
contributor

Scots Fiddle pattern? Makers?

Post by joho »

Hi All, I have two teaspoons which I think are Scottish - but am I correct? They both have what appear to be Scots fiddle pattern handles and just a makers mark, one WC and the other D&H.
The D&H spoon has a drop where the bowl and stem meet. The WC spoon has no drop. I guess they date to around 1770. I have seen similar handles on large Danish spoons but I cannot find either of the makers marks in my (limited) Danish references. Would be grateful for any information or suggestions. Many thanks.

Joho

Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Scots Fiddle pattern? Makers?

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, I am not a font of information on the subject, but could we be thinking Scottish provincial silversmiths? For the "WC" we have William Clarke of Greenock whose mark is shown as in an "ovalish" cartouche, William Constable of Dundee and William Craw at Canongate. Interestingly William Craw may have been in a Canongate "C&H" partnership with James Hill (Circa 1770-75) and you could fantasize that Mr Hill could have been in an earlier or later partnership with a "D" surname silversmith. There is an Alexander Drummond referenced at Canongate circa 1760.

There is a forum post that mentions William Craw and suggests he did not always use additional pictorial marks.

https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopi ... ngate+craw

I have done plenty of speculating so I hope there is information to come from others in the Forum.

Fishless
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

Thanks Fishless. Yes, I think there maybe a couple of contenders for the WC Mark, But the H&D mark may be more difficult to crack. Hopefully, as you say, more information may come from others in the forum.
Thanks again.
John
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

If we are looking for makers whose initials are coincidentally the same to pin these marks to then I can suggest Dalziel & Hunter of Dumfries for D&H. According to the Edinburgh Incorporation of Goldsmiths Hallmarking Archive site they were working 1776 to 1779. The site mentions Archibald Dalziel and John Hunter as the possible partners. Unfortunately they don't have an illustration of the mark for comparison.

There is another mention of the partnership on this Scottish museum site.

Phil
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

.Brilliant! I think you may have solved this one, Phil.

The Scottish museum site does In fact have an image of the mark of Dalziel and Hunter and it is very similar to the mark on my spoon. Thank you - much appreciated!!

John

Return to “Scottish Hallmarks”