Silver Mounted Sgian Dubh RS Richardson Edinburgh

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jeffban

Silver Mounted Sgian Dubh RS Richardson Edinburgh

Post by jeffban »

I recently acquired this Sgian Dubh that I'd like to and have researched to no avail, the approximate date of manufacture and who the silversmith might have been.

There are no hallmarks on the knife or sheath only the makers mark which is T.D

The blade is marked RS Richardson & Co over Edinburgh

Very much appreciate any information shared.

jeffban

Re: Silver Mounted Sgian Dubh RS Richardson Edinburgh

Post by jeffban »

What circumstances would exist that an item made of silver and offered in a legitimate retailer would escape having any hallmarks?

I believe I recall reading at some time in the dim past that sometimes there were abbreviated markings in the case of an apprentice made item but I don't know if that's so.

Richardson & Co. seems to have existed for about 140 years ending in the very beginning of the 20th c. maybe 1914. Was there ever a break from British law on hallmarking during this period in Scotland? Were there any rebellious silversmiths (T.D hopefully) hiding out in the Highlands?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

There was never a requirement that mounts such as these be hallmarked as they would be beneath the minimum weight that required hallmarking.

When such mounts are hallmarked, it would be voluntarily, usually to add to its commercial appeal.

Trev.
jeffban

Post by jeffban »

I did find this and it is possible, there doesn't seem to be a pellet between the letters but the stamp looks very similar:

https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Mak ... -T.html#TD

I also think the dates they show are very possible to be around the age of this knife.

Here is a couple of pics of the stone and thistle setting.

jeffban

Post by jeffban »

Thanks Trev. Do you think the maker marks might be the same in the referenced link? If so at least it narrows it down to a timeframe.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I don't think it's the same mark - and the Edinburgh Incorporation of Goldsmiths don't show a matching mark.

Phil
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

R.S. Richardson & Co. were established in 1828:

R.S. Richardson & Co. - Edinburgh - 1908

The tone of the advertisement, to me, appears more of a retail cutler, rather than a working one. But they may have made these up themselves using blades forged at somewhere like Sheffield.

The embellishments and the application of them may have been out-sourced or may have made in-house.

Trev.

Return to “Scottish Hallmarks”