Strange Markings on a Spoon -- Scottish?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Generic_Lad

Strange Markings on a Spoon -- Scottish?

Post by Generic_Lad »

Hello all!

So I have an interesting spoon, it looks to have incomplete hallmarks, it has a maker's mark(?) of JG, a Thistle and a Duty Mark, but lacks a date letter or a city mark. Any ideas on why its missing those 2 features?

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Strange Markings on a Spoon -- Scottish?

Post by silvermakersmarks »

This looks like an Edinburgh mark missing, as you point out, the castle town mark and date letter. Hallmarks with missing components were not unusual at the period this was hallmarked; we can date it approximately by the form of the duty mark and sterling mark to between 1797 and 1805. JG is not known to me although there are several candidates who were working at the time including several called John Graham variously working in Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Phil
Generic_Lad

Post by Generic_Lad »

Thanks!
WilliamHenry

Post by WilliamHenry »

Delighted to find this post online and learn a little about a spoon I have in Australia with the same hallmarks. The JG is not as clear as your spoon perhaps I have a different maker. It has initials JM engraved on the top of the spoon.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please start a new topic with images of your spoon and the marks.

The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Ensure your images are embedded. Do not post links. Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

For more information see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Give some time to creating your posts and we'll give some time to researching and answering them.

Trev.

Return to “Scottish Hallmarks”