Can you identify an Edinburgh (?) maker, definately C&C

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Emperor Tojo

Can you identify an Edinburgh (?) maker, definately C&C

Post by Emperor Tojo »

Hello,

I recently bought a damaged book form Vinaigrette that I believe was hallmarked in Edinburgh.

It has three marks repeated on the lid and base which are a sovereigns head, a maker G & G and a Thistle. No date letter I'm afraid

The sovereigns head seems to be facing right though the photo doesn't show this well. Believe me it's clearer in real life. Anyway, this suggests a date between 1823 and 1841 I think.

The thistle I guess says Edinburgh.

So can anyone can give me a makers name and if possible their working dates.

Last edited by Emperor Tojo on Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Probably a longshot, but the marks look a bit crude. Does anyone have a ref of Anglo-Indian makers? The maker's mark reminds me of one I've seen for Gordon & Co., possibly working in Madras? The name is Scottish, so they may have adopted the thistle mark.

Regards, Tom
Emperor Tojo

Post by Emperor Tojo »

Tom,

Thanks, I hadn't considered that as a possbility.

Having looked again under a glass, I'm beginning to think the maker may actually be 'C & C'. Sadly the additional pic below makes them look even more like two G's. May need to try a better zoom/macro setting!

I've included detail of the grill as you mention the marks may seem crude and this might sway you one way or the other. The thistle certainly seems very detailed to me.

Scotprov

Post by Scotprov »

Possibly Graham & Gordon of Madras 1794 - 97? Hugh Gordon was a watchmaker and jeweller, went into partnership with a Mr Graham who may have been from India. See Wynyard Wilkinson's Indian Colonial Silver.

Richard
Emperor Tojo

Post by Emperor Tojo »

Richard,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think the style of the viniagrette suggests a much later date, maybe late 1830's onwards

Also , I'm now convinced they mark is C & C, so am hoping this proves more fruitful.

Ian T

Return to “Scottish Hallmarks”