Makers mark JHP conjoined

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
carlislepaul
contributor

Makers mark JHP conjoined

Post by carlislepaul »

This plain Old English teaspoon (1760-1780) appears to have the John Hampston & John Prince conjoined JHP mark stamped 3 times at bottom end only. Referred to in Jacksons (P464, earliest form of mark, no description given) and shown on an auction website where it is identified as Mark 3, Page 67 of York Assay Office and Silversmiths 1776 -1858 by Martin Gubbins. Identical marks appear in the catalogue on a basting spoon given as circa 1781.

Can anybody confirm details or give further information.

When I found this spoon it was unidentified, I did not recognise it, but something made me think it was worth further investigation.

Hampton and Prince are given as starting in York in 1770 and the Assay Office opened again in 1776, so I infer the spoon was made between these dates as there are no Assay Office marks.

Regards

Paul
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Makers mark JHP conjoined

Post by dognose »

Hi Paul,

That's the first time I've ever seen a spoon with that mark. Congratulations on a great find!

Martin Gubbins dates it as 1781, and Michael Baggott 1776-1781, but as it their earliest know known mark, and as it lacks the assay office marks, then I believe it must date, as you suggest, to the 1770-1776 period.

Regards, Trev.
carlislepaul
contributor

Post by carlislepaul »

Trev

Thanks for the information.

Regards

Paul
antiquum obitens

Post by antiquum obitens »

Great little spoon, it is most likely that the triple maker's mark only was used on York silver at the earliest period of the partnership, BUT very little has ever been seen (to my best knowledge ten to fifteen pieces at most) which would reflect a very poor output of silver for a six year period (1770-76)!! It is possible that for the early years of the partnership a great deal of London made silver was supplied by the firm rather than made which is why I felt it safest to place the mark to 1776-81 in my book (when we know silver was being manufactured by the firm itself), but yes ceratinly a piece from their earliest production. There is also an interim phase when the maker's mark is struck twice beside a standard mark only and this has been noted on small and large objects (two goblets, sadly later chased and a basting spoon) before the standard (if the word standard can ever be used in referrence to York hallmarking!!) system of marks comes into use.

Regards

Michael
carlislepaul
contributor

Post by carlislepaul »

Michael

Thank you for the update.

Regards

Paul
sherrymae

Post by sherrymae »

The marks referred to in this post...
The photos are gone. I have a manche gigot marked with
DEPOSE
JHP (IN A ROW AND JOINED)
Paris
ALL IN A CIRCLE

IS THIS THE MARK YOU ARE REFERRING TO?

dognose wrote:Hi Paul,

That's the first time I've ever seen a spoon with that mark. Congratulations on a great find!

Martin Gubbins dates it as 1781, and Michael Baggott 1776-1781, but as it their earliest know known mark, and as it lacks the assay office marks, then I believe it must date, as you suggest, to the 1770-1776 period.

Regards, Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please start a new topic with the images of your item and the marks.

Trev.

Return to “York Hallmarks”