Silver Tongs

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
davidr1372

Silver Tongs

Post by davidr1372 »

http://digitalvault.bt.com/invite/login ... mg&lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have inherited these tongs from my mother. The hallmark is Birmingham but I cannot match up the makers mark with anything on the website. Can anyone help.

NB This my first posting and first use of web imaging it appears that you have to cut and paste the link into the web browser rather than click on it
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Can you tell us the letters in the mark? I can't quite make them out.

Miles
davidr1372

Post by davidr1372 »

I am having trouble with guessing the letters even looking at the original. There appear to be 3 letters the last letter may be a C with a small o in the middle so perhaps making it for Company. The middle letter could be J but it is very scripted so it could be an R, T or even an A. I was hoping that someone might have seen that style before and could say it was used by the xyz company.

Thanks for looking
paulh
contributor

silver tongs.

Post by paulh »

The mark is actually A.P. & Co for Arthur Price & Company. They were founded in 1902 by Arthur Price, as spoon makers in Birmingham. They are still in existence under various names, mainly Arthur Price of England. They still have factories in Birmingham and Sheffield, Although the company is now based in Lichfield, Staffordshire and is still in the hands of the Price family, being run by the founder’s great-grandson, Simon Price.

Hope that helps.

Paul.
davidr1372

Post by davidr1372 »

Paul
Thanks your help

Regardsl
paulh
contributor

Tongs

Post by paulh »

You are most welcome. I should have added that the pattern was called "Henley"