Different makers mark on a set of teaspoons?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Cathbray

Different makers mark on a set of teaspoons?

Post by Cathbray »

I was recently given a set of teaspoons that have been in my family since they were given new to a great, great, great aunt as a wedding present. However on inspection I have noticed that one has a different makers mark. I have checked them against each other and they are all identical. I would be really grateful if anyone has an explanation for this. They all have identical others marks and date letter. Thanks in advance.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Different makers mark on a set of teaspoons?

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Images of marks and the items they are on are essential for questions to be answered properly. The following should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

https://postimages.org is recommended (click 'Share', then copy and paste the 'Hotlink for forums' code to embed your images). Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Please embed your images rather than posting links and remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post. If your images don't show up there we won't be able to see them either.

For a quick summary see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Phil
Cathbray

Post by Cathbray »

silvermakersmarks wrote:Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Images of marks and the items they are on are essential for questions to be answered properly. The following should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

https://postimages.org is recommended (click 'Share', then copy and paste the 'Hotlink for forums' code to embed your images). Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Please embed your images rather than posting links and remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post. If your images don't show up there we won't be able to see them either.

For a quick summary see:

Phil
silvermakersmarks wrote:Hi and welcome to the Forum.

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

For a quick summary see:

Phil
Hi Phil thanks for the welcome and the instructions on how to post pictures, which I have now taken.
I look forward to hearing your opinions and if you need any more info or pictures just let me know
Thanks
Catherine

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

These spoons are a common pattern known as Old English. My speculation is that the retailer bought spoons of this standard pattern from several manufacturers and, when assembling sets, took 6 spoons from his store without checking the maker - or maybe he only had 5 (or 1) left from a batch.

Phil
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
They are assayed in Sheffield 1912.
WSS stands for W S Savage & Co and H.W.Ld. for Henry Williamson Ltd.The latter had turbulent history in late 19th century.
It is not uncommon to see sets of six spoons with one spoon by different maker.
I doubt they were sold like this by W S Savage & Co, more likely the initial owner added missing spoon of the same pattern and the same year.
That`s what I think.
Regards
Cathbray

Post by Cathbray »

silvermakersmarks wrote:These spoons are a common pattern known as Old English. My speculation is that the retailer bought spoons of this standard pattern from several manufacturers and, when assembling sets, took 6 spoons from his store without checking the maker - or maybe he only had 5 (or 1) left from a batch.

Phil
Hi Phil
Thank very much for your reply and information, it was very interesting and adds to the mystery as I’ll never know how the marriage came about!
From Catherine
Cathbray

Post by Cathbray »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
WSS stands for W S Savage & Co and H.W.Ld. for Henry Williamson Ltd.The latter had turbulent history in late 19th century.
I doubt they were sold like this by W S Savage & Co, more likely the initial owner added missing spoon of the same pattern and the same year.
That`s what I think.
Regards
AG2012 wrote:Hi,
That`s what I think.
Regards
Hi this is very interesting information and thank you for taking the time to research it for me, they were very lucky to find the replacement if this was so as it’s identical to its brothers and I didn’t even realise until I looked at the hallmarks with a magnifying glass
Thanks again
From Catherine

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”