Dessert spoon with Lion and H.I (or I.H)

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mk209
contributor

Dessert spoon with Lion and H.I (or I.H)

Post by mk209 »

This one has me stumped and is not a 'normal' spoon, it feels wrong in a few ways to be a standard English Georgian dessert spoon. Firstly the markings aren't right and secondly the silver is so bright not like any London made pieces. It weighs 30 grams and is very soft to the touch and much brighter silver much like items found in China/Japan that are marked 100% silver. It's not that flexible though as normal 925 silver. The top of the spoon is a flat finish unlike most pinched forms like standard English spoons.

I bought it on the off-chance it was something interesting. If anyone can shed some light on where it comes from and the maker it'd be great.

Matt.
bstaunto
contributor

Re: Dessert spoon with Lion and H.I (or I.H)

Post by bstaunto »

Hi Matt,

The maker's mark looks a possible match for Newcastle maker John Hutchinson. I'm no expert on the provincial lions, but it looks like the shape is right for that 1767-70 period that he was sending things in for assay.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Ben.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Yes! Mystery solved, it is indeed John Hutchinson.

Great sleuthing Ben!

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I've just added the details of John Hutchinson to the Newcastle topic in Contributors' Notes:

The Newcastle Trade - Information, Advertisements, Examples

Trev.
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

Thank you so much Ben, I overlooked that mark yet it's clearly in Jacksons! I saw some photographs that are 100% Hutchinson (identical to my mark) associated with the cork makers so that kind of threw me off.

Is silver by John Hutchinson very hard to find given that his working period was short?

Thanks Trev for the additional info I'll supply better photos for you when my internet connection is fixed but needless to say it's a struggle even to read normal we pages at present.

Matt.
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

Some better pics:

Matt
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Matt,

Many thanks for posting the additional images.

Trev.

Return to “Newcastle Hallmarks”