Alexander Kelty---A Rare Newcastle Maker

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dognose
Site Admin

Alexander Kelty---A Rare Newcastle Maker

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I just thought I'd post these photos of Alexander Kelty's spoons as examples of his work are rarely seen.

Kelty opened his shop in Dean Street, Newcastle in 1802 and submitted his first items for assay in 1803, the last silver pieces from him were assayed in 1805.

It was another six years before he had anything assayed again, in 1811 he entered one batch of gold rings.

Alexander Kelty retired in 1812.

Trev.
Last edited by dognose on Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
buckler

Post by buckler »

Thanks - I've never seen the mark. Very rare as his actual Newcastle assayed production was low - less than 500 oz- so these spoons are quite a high proportion of his work ! Not unusual for Newcastle silversmiths - I have a buckle by Patrick Beatch which probably similarly represents about 1% of his entire output of 83 ounces !

According to Margaret Gill, Alexander Kelty advertised himself as coming "from the Minories, London". However I have found no references to him in Grimwade and can only assume he was a journeyman in the City and entered no London marks. He is not recorded as a Freeman of the Newcastle Guild.

As one of his children was baptised in 1806, one died in 1805 and another in 1807 we may assume him to be quite young when he retired in 1812.

Incidently Gill gives the name as KELTY

Does anyone know anything about his prior career in London please ?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Clive,

Many thanks for the extra information, lets hope someone comes up with some details of an earlier (or later, if younger than assumed) career.

I have corrected the misspelling, my fault entirely, I think a trip to the opticians is on the cards.

Regards Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Bearing in mind the unusual name of Kelty, I wonder if there is a connection here.

Link to the Trade Card of Love & Kelty:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/s ... _id=404855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also wondered if there might be a connection with George Love (Grimwade 844, 1312). Buckler has researched the will of George Love who died in 1773, but found no mention of him having children.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The pencil date of 1814 on the top of the mount of the above trade card would appear to be correct. Period London directories show that before this date No 6, Old Bond Street was the home of Love & Co., 1814-Love & Kelty, 1817 Christopher Love.

Alexander Kelty was last heard of in Newcastle in 1812, a return to London at the 1814 date would be a good fit.

Trev.
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Trev & Clive,

An Alexander Kelty appears on the 1841 UK Census at Willesden. He is said to be about 60 years old, of independent means and living with his wife Alice also around 60 years old. What makes the entry interesting, apart from the fact that he is the only one of that name coming up in the searches, is that a William Packer (his son in law?) a silversmith also lives with him.
There is an entry on the Edinburgh AO website for a Patrick Beech (aka Veitch) with dates of 1762-78 who had been an apprentice of James Welsh. A connection to Patrick Beatch of Newcastle seems possible.

Regards,
Mike
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Alexander Kelty---A Rare Newcastle Maker

Post by dognose »

A bankruptcy notice appeared in the 'Newcastle Courant' of the 18th March 1820 for Alexander Kelty, Jeweller and Silversmith, of Colenade, Pall Mall, Middlesex.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

A mere snippet, but worth adding to the topic.

Contained within the University of Birmingham's Cadbury Research Library are the Senhouse family papers. In the listing of those papers there is the note:

"a receipt to Mrs. Wood from Alexander Kelty, jeweller, 15 Dec 1805"

See: http://calmview.bham.ac.uk/Record.aspx? ... &id=XMS314

Trev.
silverly

Post by silverly »

16 November 1777 Alexander son of James Keltie a sailor in Lewisburn and Isobella was baptized at Newcastle upon Tyne, Carlisle Street Chapel. (A record that may apply).

22 May 1804 Alexander Kelty bachelor of Newcastle Upon Tyne in the County of Northumberland married Alice Warburton a spinster of Saint Mary Magdalen, Richmond Upon Thames where the ceremony took place.
tonyac

Post by tonyac »

I have been researching Alexander for a few years now, the reason I will say later.

The earliest mention of him was the reference of him moving from London to Newcastle from
Archaeologia aeliana, or, Miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity
books.google.com.au
Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne -
1980 - Snippet view
While the Newcastle goldsmith Thomas Green found
it more profitable to migrate to London, three
London silversmiths set up shop in Newcastle.
Announcing the opening of his shop in 1802,
Alexander Kelty from the Minories. informed the
public...

That he was a silversmith or at least a jeweller is shown by a reference to an entry in the London Gazete 1806,

Notice is hereby given, that the late Copartnership carried
on by Christopher Love and Alexander Kelty,
under the Firm of Love and Kelty, in Old Bond-Street,
Jewellers, is dissolved by mutual Consent; all Demands oil
the said late Firm will be paid by Mr.Love, in Old Bond-
Street aforesaid. -Witness our Hands, this 17th December
1805 , Alex. Kelty. 'C. Love.

In 1804, it is know that he married in Richmond-upon-Thames to an Alice Warburton
From the Richmond registers
Name: Alice Warburton Spouse Name: Alexander Ketty “of Newcastle upon Tyne”
Record Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 22 May 1804
Parish: St Mary Magdalen, Richmond County: Surrey Borough: Richmond Upon Thames
Witnesses – Edward John Collins, S. Collins, Eliza Budd

The witnesses above will be mentioned later on in these posts.

As shown in previous posts in this forum, Alexander moved to Newcastle in 1802, and traded as a silversmith and jeweller till at least 1812. There is listings in

Ancestry.com. London and Country Directory, 1811 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.
Original data: Holden's Annual London and Country Directory, of the United Kingdoms, and Wales, in Three Volumes, for the Year 1811. Vol. I-III. London, England: W. Holden, 1811

And

Name: Alexander Kelty Dates: 1801-1825 Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne Northumberland Occupation: jeweller jewellery/precious metals(m) Gender: Male Address:
Address(Es): No. 8, Dean-Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland
Occupation: Occupation(s): jeweller, jewellery/precious metals(m)
Source Date: 1811
Source Info: Listed in Mackenzie & Dent's Triennial Directory for Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Gateshead & Places Adjacent, 1811. Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Printed & Published by Mackenzie & Dent, St Nicholas Church Yard.

So prior to 1802, he was a jeweller and silversmith in partnership with Christopher Love at Old Bond Street. Though moving to Newcastle then, he did have business to wind up in London, including getting married.

In 1812, rather than retiring, Alexander moved back to London, and went back into partnership with Christopher Love. As shown by the trade card in the British Museum, and by trade directories, as mention in this thread previously.

The partnership seems to have been successful for a while, attracting many rich and powerful. This can seen by the following references -
From http://ravingabouttheregency.blogspot.c ... rican.html we have Lord Byron the poet and adventurer, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Byron ie "mad, bad and dangerous to know" – Shopping with a vengeance -

In July 1813 as Byron was making tentative plans for a second Grand Tour, he went shopping... and it is fair to say that he "shopped until he dropped".

On of the first places he visited was "Love & Kelty Jewellers" in Bond Street.......

Anticipating that he would need "trinkets in exchange" as gifts to his hosts in return for their hospitality, his shopping list included the following:

"7 Gold Snuff Boxes" at 300 Guineas
"7 Snuff Boxes of Gold and Silver Gilt" at 200 Guineas
"A Gold & Enameld Musical Box with Figures Sett with Pearls &c" at 100 Guineas
"A Gold Watch" at 30 Guineas
"A Toothpick Case" at £3. 12s. 6d.
"A "Richly Chased" Toothpick Case" at 36 Guineas
"4 Gold Toothpicks" at 4 Guineas

By the time that he had finished his shopping spree, his bill at Love & Kelty, the Royal Appointment Jewellers amounted to nearly a thousand pounds...which would be added to his other debts....

His debts would remain unpaid and he was to discover that he had been "swindled".....

What follows is a snippet of his letter of complaint to John Murray, his publisher written 194 years ago on this very day:

".....at present I would trouble you with a commission if you will be kind enough to undertake it. - - You perhaps know Mr. Love the Jeweller of old Bond Street. - - In 1813 - when in the intention of returning to Turkey - I purchased of him - and paid (argent comptant) about a dozen snuff boxes of more or less value - as presents for some of my Mussulman acquaintances. - These I have now with me. - The other day - having occasion to make an alteration in the lid of one (to place a portrait in it) it has turned out to be silver-gilt instead of Gold - for which last it was sold & paid for.....
I have of course recalled & preserved the box in statu quo. -....
if there is no remedy in law - there is at least the equitable one of making known his guilt - that it - his silver-gilt - and be damned with him....
Pray state the matter to him with due ferocity..."

Venice, February 25th. 1817

Further searching on Bryon’s link with the Firm of Love & Kelty gives us these letters from Lord Bryon’s finances

My Lord,
we are favored with yours and - which is by no means satisfactory - this debt being
larger - and - a three years running account - the common interest exceeds - any profit - that
can be gained on the articles sold your Lord.Ship ——————————
we mentiond before that this debt is due to the old firm of Love & Co - and - we were obliged
- to pay the amount of it to the partner that retired from this concern last xmas - which makes
it an extreme hard case - on us-;- we - are unwilling to inconvenience your Ld.ship - yet you
must see - the absolute necessity of its being - arranged - and which - we confidently hope -
you will - do - this acct we - are willing to take bills - on your agent - or any thing in order to
bring it to a close. - - we have the honor
to be Your Lordships -
Obliged & Obedient Servts
Love & Kelty
Old Bond St -
May 19 1814
The Rt Honble Lord Byron
Ballance of acct £1079 = 15 = 9

Byron to Murray, February 25th 1817:
... You perhaps know Mr. Love the Jeweller of old Bond Street. - In 1813 - when in
the intention of returning to Turkey - I purchased of him - and paid (argent comptant)
about a dozen snuff boxes of more or less value - as presents for some of my Mussulman
acquaintances. - These I have now with me. The other day - having to make an
alteration in the lid of one (to place a portrait in it) it has turned out to be silver-gilt
instead of Gold - for which last it was sold & paid for. - This was discovered by the
workman in trying it before taking off the hinges - & working upon the lid. - I have of
course recalled & preserved the box in status quo. - what I wish you to do is to see the
said Mr. Love and inform him of this circumstance adding from me that I will take care
he shall not have done this with impunity. - - If there is no remedy in law - there is at
least the equitable one of making known his guilt - that is - his silver-gilt - and be
damned to him. - - I shall carefully preserve all the purchases I made of him on that
occasion - for my return - as the Plague in Turkey is a barrier to travelling there - at
present - or rather the endless Quarantine which would be the consequence - before on
could land in coming back. - - Pray state the matter to him with due ferocity. (BLJ V
173)

Byron to Murray, April 2nd 1817:
... So Love has a conscience - by Diana! - I shall make him take back the box though
it were Pandora’s; - the discovery of its intrinsic silver occurred on sending it to have
the lid adapted to admit Marianna’s portrait - of course I had the box remitted in Stau
quo - & had the picture set in another - which suits it (the picture) very well. - The
defaulting box is not touched hardly - it was not in the man’s hands above an hour.
(BLJ V 203)

Byron to Murray, April 2nd 1817:
... I remit to you to deliver to Mrs Leigh two Miniatures - but previously you will
have the goodness to desire Mr. Love (as a peace offering between him & me) to set
them in plain gold - with my arms complete - and “painted by Prepiani - Venice - 1817”
- on the back. (BLJ V 212)

Some of the jewellery bought is still around…..
From Christies website
(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

The gold ring set with turquoise which was bought by Byron in London in August 1813 for use as a gift during his projected travels in the Levant, but on his remaining in England was given by him to Lady Charlotte Campbell, lady-in-waiting of Caroline, Princess of Wales; it became in 1869 the engagement ring of Emily, fiancée of the future 26th Earl of Crawford, and was given by her in 1912 to Lina Waterfield, from whom the present owners have inherited it. A gold and turquoise ring, the band set at intervals with cabochon turquoise, the rims set with similar smaller stones (a few missing), circa 1812. Finger size M.

On 3 August 1813 he bought at Love and Kelty's, jewellers of 6 Old Bond Street, London, a 'Turquoise Bead Ring' for 12 guineas, as itemised in their account (photocopy included in the lot) sent to him in 1813. Since the description of this purchase fits the present ring, of which Byron is named by Emily as the first owner, there can be no reasonable doubt that the present ring is that bought by Byron.

Also
.Lot Description
A HIGHLY IMPORTANT BYRON MEMORABILIA SWISS TWO-COLOUR GOLD ENAMELLED MUSICAL AUTOMATON SNUFF-BOX
Geneva, circa 1810
Rectangular box with cut corners, each applied with masks, flowering urns and drapery, the sides similarly applied with drapery swags, the hinged cover with split pearl borders and with central enamelled plaque of musicians, applied on each side with draped female figures, each holding a floral garland, the hinged base and sides with shell and foliage borders enamelled in yellow, blue and black, the base, sides and cover with engine-turned panels enamelled in translucent green, the interior with automata group of two female musicians, one playing a harp, the other playing a piano and with seated and standing male singers, all in contemporary dress and all set within architectural setting, bordered by Doric columns enclosing applied figures of nymphs playing musical instruments and with split-pearl arches, drapery, plumed mask and plumes above, the rim later engraved with provenance inscription
102 mm. (4 in.) wide
Lot Condition Report The four translucent green side panels and the black corner side panels are re-enamelled. The automaton is in working condition: The lady on the right is moving her arms in order to play the harp, the seated Lady in the centre is moving her head and her arms in order to play the pianoforte, the seated singing gentleman is lifting his right leg. Only the standing gentleman is not performing his task (he should raise his arm). The musical movement seems to have suffered as the tune resembles more to Schoenberg than to Schubert.
Both catalogue illustrations are too dark.
The box is contained in a grey gilt-stamped leather case.
Provenance Purchased from Love & Kelty, 6 Old Bond Street, London W1 on 12th July 1813 for £105 by George, 6th Baron Byron (1788-1824).

End of part 1
tonyac

Post by tonyac »

Part 2

However, such customers who did not pay must have caused the following.
From the London Gazette 1817

TH E Commissioners in a Commission of Bankrupt,
bearing date the 17th day of October 1816, awarded
and issued forth against Christopher Love, of Old Bond-Street,
in the County of Middlesex, Jeweller, Dealer and Chapman,
intend to meet on the 19th of December next, at One of
the Clock in the Afternoon, at Guildhall, London, in order
to make a Final Joint Dividend of the Estate and Effects
of the said Bankrupt Christopher Love, and of his late Partner
Alexander Kelty (pursuant 1o the Lord Chancellor's
Order); and at the same time and place the said Commissioners
will likewise proceed to make a Final Separate Divi-
.dend of the Estate and Effects of the above-named Christopher
Love; when and where the Joint Creditors of Love
.and Kelty, and the Separate Creditors of Love, who have not
already proved their Debts, are to come prepared to prove
the same, or they will be excluded the Benefit of the aforesaid
Joint and Separate Dividends. And all Claims not
then proved will be disallowed

The next reference to Alexander is a rather Dickensian news report
The Times, Friday, Jan 01, 1819; pg. 3; Issue 10559; col E

So, Christopher Love and therefore Love and Kelty went bankrupt in 1817. However, it was not until -
From the London Gazette 1820
T H E Commissioners in a Commission of Bankrupt,
JL bearing date the 25th day of February 1820, awarded
and issued forth against Alexander Kelty, of the Collonade,
Pall-Mall, in the County of Middlesex, Jeweller and Silversmith,
Dealer and Chapman, intend to meet on the 7th day
of November next, at Ten of the Clock in the Forenoon, at
Guildhall, Londou, in order to make a Dividend of the Estate
and Effects of the said Bankrupt; when and where the Creditors,
who have not already proved their Debts, are to com«
prepared to prove the same, or they will be excluded the
Benefit of the said Dividend. And all Claims not then
proved will be disallowed.

There several entries on land tax records of a “Kelty” living at 5 Grosverner Gate, Hanover Square in 1814 and 1815
Source
Title London, England, Land Tax Records, 1692-1932
Author Ancestry.com
Publisher Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.Original data - London Land Tax Records. London, England: London Metropolitan Archives. Background Information and Tips from the Archive..Original data: London Land Tax Records. London

After 1915, the next reference found is for “A. Kelty of Worcester, Jeweller” bankruptcy notices in the London Gazette in
The Times, Monday, Dec 01, 1817; pg. 4; Issue 10316; col A

If that was the same A. Kelty, this was the beginnings of a few years of hard times. Which could have been the result of the depression that occurred after the end of the Napoleonic Wars.

In 1819 and 1820, in the Poll Records Alexander Kelty is listed as being at 5 Pall Mall as a jeweller
Source
Title London, England, Land Tax Records, 1692-1932
Author Ancestry.com
Publisher Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.Original data - London Land Tax Records. London, England: London Metropolitan Archives. Background Information and Tips from the Archive..Original data: London Land Tax Records. London

In 1820 he appears to have gone bankrupt as shown in the gazette and in the newspapers , ie,
The Times, Tuesday, Nov 28, 1820; pg. 4; Issue 11103; col D

Again, the rich and powerful not paying their bills?

There are entries for Alexander Kelty into the Fleet prison in 7 July 1821 and a discharge for the same prison on 13 July same year for bankruptcy as a jeweller.
Source
Title London, England, King's Bench and Fleet Prison Discharge Books and Prisoner Lists, 1734-1862
Author Ancestry.com
Publisher Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.
Publisher Date 2014
Publisher Location Provo, UT, USA

Also in 1822 he was taken into the Marshalsea prison on 18 Jan 1822, and discharged on 22 Jan.
Source
Title London, England, Marshalsea Prison Commitment and Discharge Books, 1811-1842
Author Ancestry.com
Publisher Ancestry.com Operaitons, Inc.
Publisher Date 2014
Publisher Location Provo, UT, USA

In 1835-1838 he is listed as being at 56 Great Ryder St, St James, Westminster in the land tax records. The address in Great Ryder Street is close to the next notice -
From the London Gazette 1839
THE COURT FOR RELIEF OF INSOLVENT DEBTORS,
N.B.—See the Notices at the end of these Advertisements.
The following PRISONERS, whose Estates and
Effects have been vested in the Provisional
Assignee by Order of the Court, having filed their
Schedules, are ordered to be brought up .before
the Court, at the Court-House, in Portugal-
Street, Lincoln's-Inn-Fields, on Friday the 27th
day of September 1839, at Nine o'clock in the
Forenoon, to be dealt with according to the
Statute.

Alexander Kelty, formerly of No. 11, Great Rider-street, Saint
James's, Westminster, Coal-Merchant and-Charcoal-Dealer,
and late of No. 9, Conduit-place, Bayswater, both in Middlesex,
out of business.

Now becoming a coal merchant seems to be a come down from his previous activities as a jeweller, but after some many bankruptcies, it may have been all that was available. Maybe contacts from Newcastle helped in this new business, as well as his in-laws (see below).

The change could be shown also in the marriage certificate and death certificate of his daughter Eliza Charlotte Kelty. On the marriage certificate is gives the occupation of Alexander as Coal Merchant, but on her death certificate he is listed as a jeweller.

The 1841 census for Willesden, Surrey shows Alexander Kelty and family of wife Alice, Son (Alexander) Charles and William Packer(s) Silversmith with wife Mary and child Mary. He is now listed as being of Independent Means.

The second family of the Packers , I think this is the brother to Ebenezer Parkes mentioned in the Dickensian article earlier. Either the paper or the census got the name wrong. The Mary Packer listed, I think, is the daughter of Alexander, who married his apprentice. If the census is correct, then this shows that Alexander was born about 1781, but the 1841 census is not very accurate, it can be up to +/- 10 years in difference from real dates.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any birth or family in the late 1700’s. The only other reference is the possible death of Alexander Kelty is in 1861.
England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1861-1941 Record for Alexander Kelty1861

Unfortunately I am not entirely sure if that is Alexander, or his son Alexander Charles Kelty.

The in-laws? Well, in his marriage records amongst the witnesses is Edward John Collins and S. Collins who I think is Sarah nee Warburton. She married Edward John Collins on 11 Dec 1799. He was from Richmond upon Thames and had business interests in a brewery and as a lighterman and coal merchant. As seen above, Alice Warburton married Alexander Kelty in Richmond upon Thames on the 21 May 1804. I am hoping that the two Warburton girls are not sisters.

If they were, then the son of Edward John Collins and Sarah Warburton, George Collins, and the daughter of Alexander Kelty and Alice Warburton, Eliza Charlotte Kelty were married 8 July 1840. If their mothers were sisters then George and Eliza were cousins, which while unusual was not unheard of. Also it might explain some facts about my family. Yes, they are my third great grand parents. Which is why I am interested in Alexander Kelty. So any information others have I would be interested in.

Lastly, below is some miniatures that have come down in the family, unfortunately not in my branch. I think they are Alice Warburton and Alexander Kelty.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the Forum.

Many thanks for sharing with us the results of your excellent research into the life of Alexander Kelty, it is very much appreciated.

It provides a wonderful insight into his life and this period of time.

Trev.
tonyac

Post by tonyac »

dognose wrote:Hi Tony,

Welcome to the Forum.

Many thanks for sharing with us the results of your excellent research into the life of Alexander Kelty, it is very much appreciated.

It provides a wonderful insight into his life and this period of time.

Trev.
Thanks Trev
Hopefully it will be of use to people on here.
Sorry for the need for an edit.

Regards
Tony Collins

Return to “Newcastle Hallmarks”