James Niner - an extremely rare maker......

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mk209
contributor

James Niner - an extremely rare maker......

Post by mk209 »

.....In fact James Crosswood Niner of 44 King st, Devonport, Plymouth, only ever sent 2 teaspoons to assay!

Here is one of them dated 1825:

In his book Miles Harrison has noted that James is recorded in the assay registers of only sending 23 items to assay over the period 1820-1831.

I will check the assay registers in Exeter soon to see if this truly is one of the 2 teaspoons or whether it was just another retailed spoon of many but I have never seen his mark before and nobody else I know has ever seen any item of silver bearing his mark.

Often the question of ‘how rare is it?’ Is asked, on this occasion we know exactly how rare.

Matt.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: James Niner - an extremely rare maker......

Post by dognose »

Hi Matt,

Many thanks for sharing this with us.

THE COURT FOR RELIEF OF INSOLVENT DEBTORS

At the Court-House, at the City of Exeter, in the County of the same City, on the 11th day of March 1833, at Ten o’Clock in the Forenoon precisely.

James Crosswood Niner, formerly of King-Street, Devonport, Devonshire, then of No. 68, St. Aubyn-Street, Devonport aforesaid, Gold and Silver-Smith and Working Jeweller, then of No. 66, Cambridge-Street, Plymouth, and late of No. 78, George-Street, Devonport, both in Devonshire, Working Jeweller.

Source: The London Gazette - 15th February 1833

Trev.
mk209
contributor

Re: James Niner - an extremely rare maker......

Post by mk209 »

Here is the list of the 22 items sent to assay by James Niner:

1 Box
2 Lancet cases
1 Breast plate
1 Cup
1 Fork
1 Ladle
4 Salt Ladles
4 Medals
1 Pair of spectacles
2 Mustard spoons
1 Tablespoon
2 Teaspoons
1 Gold ring

Source: Miles Harrison - Exeter & West Country Silver.

Return to “Exeter Hallmarks”