Widow Helweg Marks?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Widow Helweg Marks?

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello my Dutch Forum friends, I think these mark may be could be associated with the Widow Helweg clan. I just saved this image a while ago hoping to make an identification. I had thought it was the same makers mark for both spoons, but I do not think the orientation of the anchor is the same in both maker's marks.

I had dated the marks to 1867 with the "h" and the other one to 1868. That would be "i" but could it be a dark background "l" for 1870.
I am thinking the "h" maker mark could in fact be the "WHH" (H's conjoined) mark that you have show as a mark in with the "Wed H Helweg" mini section in the Dutch silver original maker's mark project. I looked up "Wed". The short form for Widow in Dutch. Is anything I have concluded correct?

Fishless
oel
co-admin

Re: Widow Helweg Marks?

Post by oel »

Hi Fishless,
First spoon year letter lower case h for 1867.
Maker's mark W HHconjoined under anchor for the workshop of: wed.(widow) Hendrik Helweg ( Maria Jacoba Fredriks), used as of 1858.
The 2nd spoon, unclear marks but I believe it could be year letter lower case r for 1876, maker's mark, the position of the anchor, tilted left, above WHH for; wed.(widow) Hendrik Helweg ( Maria Jacoba Fredriks), used only for short period as of 1874-1875

Helweg marks.

Peter.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

An image of the Widow Helweg, Maria Jacoba Fredriks:

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Source: Amsterdamse Courant - February 1858

Trev.
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Thank you Peter your comments and information. I thought the marks could be interesting, only sorry I was not more clever with them myself. The lower case "r" for 1876 would fit better in context. Thank you Trev also for your additions. I guessed the second image could be a death notice but I could not find the Dutch word for death or died though. That was because the gentleman "passed away". I think I will need to brush up on my Dutch skills before posting here again.

Fishless
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Heden overleed alhier, na een langdurig lijden, mijn geliefde Echtgenoot, HENDRIK HELWEG, in den ouderdom van bijna 56 jaren.
Amsterdam            M.J. FREDERIKS
16 Febr. 1858         Wed. H. Helweg
De Zilversmids-Affaire wordt op denzelfden voet door de Weduwe voortgezet
Enige en algemeene kennisgeving

Today, after prolonged suffering, my beloved Husband, HENDRIK HELWEG, passed away here at the age of almost 56 years.

Amsterdam 16 Feb. 1858
M.J. FREDERIKS Widow H. Helweg

The Silversmith Affair is continued in the same way by the Widow.
Sole and general notice

Return to “Dutch Silver”