Miniature tea kettle - help with maker please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Miniature tea kettle - help with maker please

Post by SilverK »

This little item is a miniature silver tea kettle on stand with a 'burner'. It has the appearance of a 19th century kettle, but the sword fineness mark on the edge of the stand says that this was made no earlier than 1906. I can find no city or date mark on the piece. Tipping it over on its hinge shows the maker's mark on the bottom. It's not at all clear even using a loupe as it is so incredibly small and poorly stamped. I've used a strong macro lens which has allowed me to take the attached pictures. I still couldn't identify the maker, and therefore ask for the forum's help.

I've given you two pictures of the marks. The first I think is the correct way up, showing what I think is a JZ and then perhaps a snake, clarinet or other curly symbol. The other is an upside down view which may help to distinguish it.

I look forward to any help from the forum!

Many thanks.

Silverk

oel
co-admin

Re: Miniature tea kettle - help with maker please

Post by oel »

Hi Silverk,

Yes, the Dutch sword mark with the export key; The sword (used 1814-1905) and 2nd sword mark used 1906-1953. Standard mark for; small work silver minimum 833 fineness= 83.3% pure silver and used on small work without date letter and office mark and in combination with maker's mark. NB. This sword mark is also used on large works consisting of more than three parts interconnected by links or hinges. On these objects the office mark, standard mark and date letter were spread, one per part, the remaining parts were struck with the sword mark. Export key: mark to indicate 2/3 duty restitution upon export valid 1853 till 1953
The maker's mark to me appears to be JZ: in rectangle for; J. van der Zwaan, registered in Breda, 1913/1925, known maker of silver miniatures.
Jacob van der Zwaan, born 21-8-1887 in Westkapelle, occupation goldsmith, died in Breda 25-4-1960. His son Jacob Jr registered his maker's mark :JZ: in rectangle in 1941; J. van der Zwaan Jr, gold and silver shops formerly known as J. van der Zwaan, active till 1951.

Peter
SilverK
contributor

Re: Miniature tea kettle - help with maker please

Post by SilverK »

Hi Peter,

Once again, thank you for this lightening fast and authoritative response! That's very helpful indeed.

Best regards,

Silverk.

Return to “Dutch Silver”