Dutch trinket box - maker identification request

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Dutch trinket box - maker identification request

Post by SilverK »

Hi,

I have this Dutch box which I think was made in Schoonhoven in 1856. The maker appears to be 'GS' above an emblem that I can't make out.

I would be grateful for any help in identifying this maker.

Many thanks,

Silverk.

oel
co-admin

Re: Dutch trinket box - maker identification request

Post by oel »

Hi Silverk, indeed Schoonhoven regional assay office letter M and year letter W for 1856.

To me the maker's marks appears to be GG above 102, in square for; Gerrit Frederik van Gelen Ez ( Evert's his son).
Gerrit Frederik, born in Schoonhoven on December 13, 1828, died in Schoonhoven on Oct 12, 1888. Known for making small silver boxes. Gerrit Frederik started on 1-2-1853 and stopped on 20-5-1880. He lived in his father's house, while the workshop was elsewhere. His father Evert van Geelen was employed by him as servants from 1853 to 1860, and also his brother Jacobus van Geelen.
Also see; The silversmith family van Geelen in Schoonhoven
https://historischeverenigingschoonhove ... Geelen.pdf
And also see;
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59165&p=195448&hili ... en#p195448

Peter.
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Hi Peter,

Thanks very much for your response to this. Initially, I thought too that this could be GG, but what made me think it might be GS is the line about a third of the way up from the bottom of the letter. Given your thoughts and that you haven't mentioned a possible 'GS' silversmith, then perhaps this is simply a characteristic of the punch. The box shown in the second link is very supportive also.

Do you know what the '102' stands for?

Thanks too for the additional info!

Best regards,

Silverk.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

The meaning of a number in a Schoonhoven maker’s mark/responsibility mark.

After the formation of the Kingdom of The Netherlands at the end of 1813, the city of Schoonhoven was not granted an own assay office. Thus the Schoonhoven silversmiths had to register their mark under Schoonhoven but at the assay office in the city of Utrecht. The distance between Schoonhoven and Utrecht is about 38 Km.  In August 1837 Schoonhoven, after some strong lobbying, was allowed to open its own local assay office and to use the regional assay office letter M for Schoonhoven.

In 1837 in Schoonhoven, the working silversmiths were re-registered and they had to adopt/register a new maker’s/responsibility mark. A mark that differed from the Utrecht assay office where they were first registered. In the Register Silversmiths of Schoonhoven, for early 1837, we see the registration starting with the maker’s marks; K1 (Adrianus Kooiman), DK2 (Cornelis van Dam Kooiman), V3 (Adrianus van Vlierden), and so on. Up to and including the maker’s mark B 43 for Pieter Blanken, nr. 43 in the Register, and in the maker’s mark. After that Register number, inculpation number, and maker’s mark are no longer corresponding. At the start, the serial numbers in the Register also correspond to the number of insculpation, on the appropriate copper insculpation plate. Also the insculpation plate itself has a dedicated number.
We assume a newly, to be registered silversmith did not pick his own number but it was assigned by the assay office. The silversmith chose his letters and possibly symbols with the assigned numbers and had his maker’s mark made. Before he could use his maker’s mark, the silversmith had to register the mark at the assay office where it was punched on a copper insculpation plate.

Peter.

Gratitude/Source Rene Kappers.
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Hi Peter,

That is a really excellent explanation, thank you!

I also posted another question a couple of weeks ago where you kindly responded by telling me that 'K1' on that box (dated 1838) stood for Adrianus Kooiman. Unless I have misunderstood, then it was made by the very first silversmith to have registered his marks at the newly formed Schoonhoven assay office! That certainly adds interest for me to that piece.

Many thanks once again,

Silverk.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

You understood correct, year letter D for 1838.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60893

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to “Dutch Silver”