Strange hallmarks that I've never seen before

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AllSeasons

Strange hallmarks that I've never seen before

Post by AllSeasons »

Has anyone ever seen these marks before? Pseudo-marks? Silver-plate? Hanau?

These are found on some spoons I'm interested in buying. Do the marks indicate sterling?

Thank you in advance!

oel
co-admin

Re: Daniel Outvorst and son

Post by oel »

Dutch hallmarks for silver 833/000 minimum fineness. Sterling is 925/ 000 minimum fineness. Please show us a clear enhanced image of the marks.
For Dutch hallmarks see:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028
Your image, not clear year letter gothic U(?) for 1904
Example of maker's mark.
The maker's mark appears to be DO above 2 for: Daniel van Outvorst, registered in Amsterdam with this particular maker's mark 1892/1905. Daniel van Outvorst(Sr) started in 1873 in joined venture with Jan Hendrik Eversbag, registered under the name of; Eversbag & van Outvorst, Amsterdam 1873-1892.Image

In 1905 Daniel van Outvorst (Sr) continued to work with his son Daniel(Jr), born in 1881. Registered maker's mark DvO Zn, under the name of; D van Outvorst & Zoon, registered in Amsterdam 1905-1916. After the death of his father Daniel van Outvorst Jr continued to work till his death in 1960.

Both father and son worked for the company A. Bonebakker & Zn and other retailers, Bonebakker's retailer's mark is therefore often seen on work made by D. van Outvorst. Father and son made silver cutlery and large silver. The Outvorst made beautiful, high-quality silverware.
Large silver salver D. van Outvorst & Zonen, 1928

Peter.
AllSeasons

Re: Strange hallmarks that I've never seen before

Post by AllSeasons »

Thank you for the reply and detailed info. I unfortunately did not win this online auction, but I did learn something, which is great.

Return to “Dutch Silver”