Small Dutch Peppermint Box - Need Help with Makers' Mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JDUBB

Small Dutch Peppermint Box - Need Help with Makers' Mark

Post by JDUBB »

I hope to obtain assistance from the Forum to identify the Makers' Mark and Assay Office on my small Dutch Peppermint Box.

Dimensions: Diameter - 4 cm; Height - 2 cm
Weight: 22 grams

Dutch Hallmarks:
DATE MARK - Stylized “G” in a circle. Date = 1891
NUMERICAL STANDARD MARK - Standing Lion Passant with “1”
EXPORT MARK - Key mark stamped on the edge of the Numerical Standard Mark
ASSAY MARK - Minerva Head with unidentified Assay Office letter code. The letter code has been obliterated by the side grooves decoration. Need Help to ID the Assay Office - if possible.
MAKERS' MARK - incomplete stamp with a C plus another letter [CH, CR, CF ??] Unidentified Makers Mark. Need Help to ID this Mark.

London Hallmarks:
SILVER STANDARD MARK - Lion Rampant
CITY MARK - Uncrowned Leopards Head
DUTY MARK - None
DATE LETTER - Capital “Q” in a shield. Date = 1891
BRITISH IMPORTING FIRM (SPONSORS MARK) - L L in a rectangular octagon cartouche
IMPORT MARK - Capital “F” in an oval cartouche

Photos:

Last edited by oel on Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images not showing
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Small Dutch Peppermint Box - Need Help with Makers' Mark

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images.

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Please show us a couple of clear enhanced images of the Minerva head and the maker's mark.
Without the regional assay office letter and unclear maker's mark we only can guess. What's the value of a guess? The year letter, gothic G, indeed for 1891.
The British importer Lewis Lewis, his agents visited not only the silversmiths (factories) in the city of Schoonhoven but also in a few other Dutch cities.
The maker's mark starts with the letter C(or G) and one more letter(s) and perhaps symbols like a dot(s) or little star or ?
Please use the preview button, to check the quality and visibility of your images, before submit.

Peter.
JDUBB

Post by JDUBB »

To dognose and oel:
Thank you for welcoming me to the Forum. I am excited to become a member of this interesting and informative Silver Forum. I have much to learn about the Forum and Silver.

I did attempt to follow the Forum guidance How to Add An Image. I used Imgur as my photo host. I copied and pasted a total of 7 Imgur BBCode Small Thumbnail images from Imgur into my Topic. The format of the Imgur links pasted into my Topic matched the desired Image format. I did not use the Forum's Img button to start.

When I Previewed my Topic prior to submission all the linked small thumbnail images showed up correct. So... I must admit I do not know what I did wrong, but I will try again using the Img button tool at the top of this Post A Reply, and then copying and pasting the Imgur Direct Link between the Img prefix and suffix. Hope this works... Again the Preview is showing the images on my end...

Minerva Head and Makers' Mark:

Makers' Mark:

Date Mark:

London Import Marks:

Any information you can provide regarding the Assay Office and Maker's Mark will be informative for me. These are the two marks that are not clear to me. Your eye may catch something I am missing.

Thank You,
JDUBB
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Your images are too small. Try to make a couple of new clear enhanced images of the maker's mark and Minerva head. Use a good digital camera, macro function.

Peter.

Return to “Dutch Silver”