I believe this is Dutch

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
blonde_minx

I believe this is Dutch

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi
I need a little advice, i think this box is dutch, it has a letter Z to the side a minerva head and to the base a lion and then a makers mark, could anyone tell me if i am correct in saying dutch and any help with age and maker would be appreciated , Thanks in advance
Mandy

oel
co-admin

Re: I believe this is Dutch

Post by oel »

Scent box or loderein doosje in Dutch. The year letter Z for 1859, the maker's mark could read : PC 114 (distorted) for Paulus Riddersma Cabboes, registered in the city of Leeuwarden 1836-1860.

Peter.
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Thank you Peter for your help, its a lovely box, is a scent box a little like a spice box

Thanks Mandy
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Loddereindoosje/loderein doosje/ lodderein box or scent box; the loderein box contained a sponge or cotton wool soaked in eau de cologne to dab the skin or hold it under the nose in case of stench or mask the smell of rotten teeth in the mouth during a conversation. To prevent the scented water from evaporating too quickly, a loderein box is usually higher than it is wide.

Paulus Riddersma Cabboes. Born in Oldersum in 1805. In 1835 silversmith and wire worker in Leeuwarden. In 1845 also merchant. Died in Leeuwarden in 1859. The business was continued by the widow until 1860 and then by cousin Carolus Henderikus Cammans.

Peter.
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Peter

Thank you again your a fountain of knowledge and so very helpful

Mandy

Return to “Dutch Silver”