Friesian Silver Occasion spoon with unknown maker

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
legrandmogol
contributor

Friesian Silver Occasion spoon with unknown maker

Post by legrandmogol »

Not sure who the maker is and I am looking for some assistance. It is a strange maker mark but it has an amazing engraving of a period windmill. I am also not exactly sure what the engraving says but I believe it commemorates somebody's life via their date of birth and death but hopefully Peter can sort it out better for me. I posted pictures of the makers mark upright and upside down if it helps

oel
co-admin

Re: Friesian Silver Occasion spoon with unknown maker

Post by oel »

Silver memorial spoon finial in the shape of a woman holding a pennant: the allegorical representation of Fortune. Fortune, resp. Fortuna "the goddess of destiny” This stem crown has been found on Frisian ornamental spoons since the 17th century.

Teetse Rinties ( or Rintjes, sometimes known as Taedse Rintkes) patronymic, or patronym; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patronymic is Gebooren (born) Den 21 January 1743 Overleden (deceased) Den 7 Juli 1767
Probably daughter or wife of a miller.
The maker’s mark indistinct, perhaps struck twice, case of overstriking; SvO for Sikke van Ommeren, registered in Leeuwarden 1751-1779.

Peter.
legrandmogol
contributor

Re: Friesian Silver Occasion spoon with unknown maker

Post by legrandmogol »

Thanks, Peter, an overstrike or double strike would explain the mysterious mark. For me, the beautifully engraved windmill was the real allure. I have a couple more interesting Frisian spoons on the way.

Return to “Dutch Silver”