Pseudo marks on silver basket - ??

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Hammy158

Pseudo marks on silver basket - ??

Post by Hammy158 »

I have a small silver basket - 7 1/4 x 4 1/8 x 2" high. It has the Lion symbol and a friend of mine tested it and said it is sterling. Can you help me figure out who made it and when?

Thank you for your help.
oel
co-admin

Re: Pseudo marks on silver basket - ??

Post by oel »

Hi welcome to the forum. Yes these are pseudo marks or fantasy marks together with legible (hall) marks, Dutch lion passant above 2, 2nd standard silver mark, fineness 833/1000. Three Saint Andrew's Crosses pseudo town mark Amsterdam (#537), the cross a pseudo maker's mark (#465), double circle pseudo maker's mark (#415)
See:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56948
The maker's mark on your image is not clear, could it read GD109 or?
If GD 109 it is for : Gerrit van der Dussen, maker’s mark D* and D109 and GD 109, registered in Schoonhoven 1866-1912.
Please show us a clear enhanced image of the maker's mark. And check for other marks like Minerva head or office mark and year letter. Thanks.

For Dutch (hall)marks see:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028

Peter.
Hammy158

Post by Hammy158 »

Thank you so much for the info. This forum is such a great resource!
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Your welcome. How about showing a clear enhanced image of the maker' s mark and are there any other marks like a year letter?

Peter.
Hammy158

Post by Hammy158 »

I examined the makers mark with my loupe and I don't think an enhanced photo will reveal much more. The letters are worn smooth, but I think you are correct in the reading of GD 109. I can't find any other distinguishable marks...

Hammy158

Post by Hammy158 »

It weighs about 102 grams. (not sure if that info is needed). Any idea what the basket would have been used for? It's too small for bread!
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Thanks. Yes it is made by Gerrit van der Dussen.
Silver bonbon basket.
Crispy chocolates and small paralines presented in a silver bonbon basket are irresistible. Beautiful small silver baskets have been made in the Netherlands to present sweets for 3 centuries. Hand-sawn, finely engraved silver baskets with or without legs, sometimes with a handle. In the 18th century, beautiful sawn-out silver baskets were made with flower and leaf motifs, in the early 18th century the silver baskets are often closed, smooth and with handle, from the middle of the 19th century we hardly see any baskets but at the end of the century the silversmiths made beautiful baskets again. Many bonbon baskets were made in the first half of the 20th century.

Peter.
Gratitude: Zilver.nl
Hammy158

Post by Hammy158 »

Thanks again. I appreciate you taking the time to educate! Regards...Lou

Return to “Dutch Silver”