Dutch Spoon circa 1900

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Dutch Spoon circa 1900

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello Dutch section again. I just bought myself another Dutch spoon, and not by accident. It is 12 cms long and maybe has some "art nouveaux" type patterning on its front. Importantly it has reasonably crisp hallmarks and an edit of them is shown in my 2nd photo.

I have done my research but I am here for the correct answers. The gothic letter I think is a "C" and that would mean the spoon was from 1887. The makers mark is the least well preserved mark and this is my speculative idea. I thought the first letter was was an "E" or a "B" and the second letter a possible "M". When I tried a search "BM" in this Dutch Silver Forum I turned up "BM" over a 6 pointed star and the partnership "Willem Baksteen & Cornelis Johannes Middendorp, registered in Rotterdam 1861/1889".

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39483&p=109416&hili ... va#p109527

The date of the spoon would be in their working period but is that a "D" for Rotterdam on the Minerva head? It is difficult to find good photographed examples of the various lettered Minerva heads for comparison. Also the the 6 pointed star does not have much definition on my spoon. I had thought it was a crown or a shield.
Please help me with my spoon's identification and do you think it was a spoon that had a particular purpose?
Thanks
Fishless
oel
co-admin

Re: Dutch Spoon circa 1900

Post by oel »

Hi Fishless, for comparison above two office Marks/Minerva heads with the regional assay office letter D for Rotterdam.
Indeed the maker’s mark rubbed and a bit distorted, to me it appears to be B&M above 6 pointed star for: Willem Baksteen & Cornelis Johannes Middendorp, registered in Rotterdam from 1861-1889. Year letter C for 1887, and rubbed office mark/Minerva head for Rotterdam
Ice cream/ coffee /dessert spoon in The Biedermeier style

Peter
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Dutch Spoon circa 1900

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Thank you Peter for your quick "added value" response to my query.
Fishless

Return to “Dutch Silver”