Help with Dutch marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
joho
contributor

Help with Dutch marks

Post by joho »

Hi All
Not sure where to begin with this one!! A large knife and fork serving set with the blade and tines hallmarked for London circa 1860 and made by GA for Chawner &co. But the handles appear to be Dutch 17th or 18th century cast silver figural sculptures. The handles themselves are not marked that I can see, but the collars between the handles and the blade/tines are marked although the marks on each are different. The one is marked with a scallop shell ? (makers mark?) and what could be a rather distorted Amsterdam mark. The other with a mark I can't make out. Possibly a teapot or, in a different light a script letter. Could they be false/fake marks? Not sure when, why and how the marriage between the handles and blade/fork happened. From the little research I have done I believe that the handles of theis type would have been part of a small carving set with steel blades. The knife is 27cm long.
Any other ideas or theories or information on the marks would be much appreciated?
Many thanks
John

oel
co-admin

Re: Help with Dutch marks

Post by oel »

Hi Joho,

Nice handles representing Justice and Devine Love. The "teapot mark" is actually an import and duty mark French Empire 1809-1819. Paris & Departments, the & mark or ET= Étranger =Foreign. Indeed town mark Amsterdam 18th century.
The scallop maker's mark could be for Cornelis Coutrier, registered in Amsterdam 1730-1749.
Away from home no access to my library till 23th June.
However if you Google "Cornelis Coutrier zilver" you will find some nice examples of carving/serving sets, travelling set, and his scallop maker's mark.

Peter.
joho
contributor

Re: Help with Dutch marks

Post by joho »

Hi Peter

Thanks so much for the information. Looking forward to finding out more about Cornelis and silver handles, now that you have pointed me in his direction!!

Best regards
John

Return to “Dutch Silver”