Really Dutch ?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
amena
contributor

Really Dutch ?

Post by amena »

I have seen this food warmer on the Internet.

Are they genuine Dutch marks?
Best wishes
Amena
oel
co-admin

Re: Really Dutch ?

Post by oel »

Hi,

These could be spurious Dutch marks. The Stork town mark The Hague, crowned year letter M (1758), and the Holland provincial lion rampant for silver 1st standard 934/000. The maker's mark could be a Cock for: Cornelis de Haan registered in The Hague 1755-1788. Warning this mark can also be encountered as a falsification. Although the maker's could also be of a today unknown silversmith, registered in The Hague 1790- 1800 and unidentified ( during his working period no year letter M was in use)
These marks need carefully examined, not by one image only, before a conclusion can be made.
Away from home and no access to my library.

Peter.
Source Dutch silversmiths marks and names prior to 1812,L.B.Gans goud en zilvermerken van Voet
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thanks Peter
this auction house publishes very clear photos, but, at least as far as Italian silverware is concerned, marks are more than sometimes suspect or misattributed. This is why I am sometimes hesitant to add images to my collection before having confirmation from an expert.
Thanks again
Amena
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

I also noticed a little Dutch tax mark:

The script-letter I used 1906-1953; Duty mark for unguaranteed standard of fineness new silver objects of national origin. This mark was used on all new Netherlands silver objects below legal standard of fineness, those with non-precious metal additions, and new heavily silver plated objects, as long as the average precious metal content after melting with the base metal was at least 250/1000. It was also struck on rejected objects which had been submitted at lowest legal standard of fineness. In that case the maker had to choose between destruction or unguaranteed marking. This mark was sometimes mistakenly used on old and foreign objects and in 1927 also used on objects of old national origin. Valid from 1906 till 1953.
To compare herewith the maker's mark of Cornelis de Haan in 1768:
URLImage

Peter.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Armena,
Forgot to mention another silversmith maker's mark a Cock for: Marcelis de Haan, registered in The Hague 1731-1790.
Image[/URL]

Return to “Dutch Silver”