Unknown 17th century Dutch spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
legrandmogol
contributor

Unknown 17th century Dutch spoon

Post by legrandmogol »

I have enclosed as many pictures as I can to aid in its identification but they are so worn I have little hope. I think the date letter is a V or maybe an N? But any information is better than none. I also know this spoon could also be early 18th century as well. Thank you in advance!

oel
co-admin

Re: Unknown 17th century Dutch spoon

Post by oel »

Top left of the rat's tail Dutch hatchet the 1853 duty mark for old silver objects of national origin returned to the trade.
To the right of the rat's tail perhaps remnant town mark of Leiden, 2 (crowned) crossed keys in a cartouche with next to it the remnant province of Holland mark; the lion rampant to indicate 1st standard silver 934/000 fineness.
Left below the duty mark, a year letter V(?) for 1706. Maker's perhaps a bell for Leiden ..... unidentified (Karel A. Citroen, Dutch Goldsmiths' and Silversmiths' Marks and Names prior to 1812). The existing literature about Leiden town silver is a small Museum booklet showing only a few year letters.
Leiden 17th century wedding spoon:

https://www.lakenhal.nl/nl/collectie/5777
Yes I could be totally wrong. The marks are a pain in the.....or eye.

Peter.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Thanks Peter, your guess is better than mine. Ultimately though it will never really be identified due to the poor quality of the marks. I was wondering though if this particular style of spoon or its design elements were more common in a particular city or Provence. I know for the most part the styles were pretty fluid but there are sometimes little bits that are more common in certain towns.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Good question but I do know the answer. Sometimes the position of the marks can give some clue, left, right or under the rat's tail and front or back side of bowl.
The finial description female bust waring bonnet or ear iron or helmet (goddess)....?
https://www.friesmuseum.nl/en/collectio ... -and-1860/
Another example of this type of birth/commemorative/ornamental spoon made in Haarlem 1671
ImageImageImage

Perhaps library musea search can reveal more.

Peter.

Return to “Dutch Silver”