Silver Purse

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
altauterouff

Silver Purse

Post by altauterouff »

Hello everyone! I wasn't quite sure what section to put this under as an accessory, so please bear with me! It doesn't seem to have any of the usual hallmarks suggesting outright where it's from, perhaps you all could be of some help? I'm hoping I can find some history on this purse!

Thanks so much for your time and knowledge!
oel
co-admin

Re: Silver Purse

Post by oel »

Hi welcome to the forum and thanks for the clear embedded images.

The silver purse frame maker's mark IDS for the Frisian master : Jacobus Smeding, registered silversmith city of Leeuwarden, 1795 - 1811
Reductive in Friesland 18th century; light weight silver items and silver of 2nd standard maker's mark only. The silver fineness 2nd standard will be minimum circa 835-900/000. In the province of Friesland only silver of the 1st standard, 927-934/000 fineness was assayed and hallmarked; town mark and year letter and Frisian province 1st standard mark for 934/000.

The belt hook is made by a different silversmith HH for: Hidde Jacobus Halbertsma, registered in the Frisian city of Heerenveen 1807-1811 but his workshop was located in Gorredijk.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorredijk
The crowned O is the taxfree mark used March 1807 till April 18th 1807.
For information Dutch tax marks see:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028

The prick work date and initials done by the owner(s) of the purse, it reads;
M J Hofstra 1863
G 1799 J
Although some caution is appropriate in these situations, it seems to be Margje Joukjes Hofstra, who married Hendrik Hendriks Pijlman in 1866. It appears that this couple emigrated to the USA after 1880 and it is conceivable that the purse ended up there. Margje Joukes's family comes from Gorredijk and the surrounding area, and at least the hook may have come from old family property.

Personal data of Margjen Joukes (Margaret) Hofstra
Margjen Joukes (Margaret) Hofstra was born on 21-10-1841 in Gersloot, daughter of Jouke Douwes Hofstra and Annigjen Alberts Vos. Margaret died on 09-11-1916 in New York Mills, Oneida County, New York, USA, aged 75 years. At the age of 24, Margaret married Hendrik Hendriks (Henry) Pijlman, aged 21, on 15-04-1866 in Tjalleberd. Hendrik was born on 03-12-1844 in Tjalleberd. Hendrik died on 22-02-1908 in New York Mills, Oneida County, New York, USA, aged 63.

Peter.

Gratitude; Mr. J. Schipper; http://www.zilverstudie.nl/
altauterouff

Re: Silver Purse

Post by altauterouff »

Thank you so, so much for such an extensive history on this bag! You absolutely blew all of my expectations out of the water, I cannot express my gratitude enough.

Return to “Dutch Silver”