Dutch teapot unknown silver content and maker

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
vinsildad

Dutch teapot unknown silver content and maker

Post by vinsildad »

Here is a teapot which I was told was Dutch silver. There is a picture of the teapot and a picture of the hallmarks on the bottom. I cannot find out much about the item and would like to know name of maker, date made and the silver content. Thank you.

Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

Only the makers mark (in the square .. which i can't make out) and the dophine with key seem to be genuine Dutch marks.
Obviously someone at an essay office was sleeping and thought the other marks were 18th (or prior) century marks and stamped it with the dolphine.
That is not a big surprise as the "science" of hallmarking was only invented in the late 19th century.

All other marks are pseudo marks, so probably around 1900.
With a clearer impression of the makers mark we could narrow it down a bit .. or someone else can read it from this image.
vinsildad

Dutch silver teapot

Post by vinsildad »

Thank you. I gather the dolphin mark means the silver content is below the 833 standard. What is the content or is that possible to establish? Also, is a pseudomark a fraud or fake?
Margaux
contributor

Post by Margaux »

I fully agree with Doos. The hallmark in the square is the makers mark but unfortenately for me to small to read. Maybe you can discribe what you see if a clearer picture is not possible to identify the maker.
The dolfin has a key figure attached as a sign of exported Duth silver with a refund of local tax.
The pseudomarks came in to use mainly since 1870 only to let genuine silver items look older. This D is far to big to be a year letter (you should look for a year letter elswhere on the pot). The rising lion walks the wrong way etc.

Return to “Dutch Silver”