Dutch 1828 child's baptism commemoration cup

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
historydetective

Dutch 1828 child's baptism commemoration cup

Post by historydetective »

I recently acquired the cup below; it weighs 46.5 grams and is 2.75 inches tall. It bears the Dutch date letter for 1828, and the assay office code on Minerva's helmet looks like a "C" - it's the same assay office code letter that's depicted on Minerva's helmet in example B. in the "Examples of Dutch Hallmarks" picture gallery from this site; this is the link to that page: http://www.925-1000.com/Fnetherlands_Date_Code.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would like to know: 1. the assay office city that the letter "C" codes for 2. the identity of the maker with the unusual diamond-shaped maker mark punch 3. whether this cup likely hails from a Catholic or Protestant tradition judging from the fact that it refers to Mark 16: verse 16, which discusses baptism, on a cup that is of a size clearly intended for a baby 4. whether this type of cup from this era is common in Holland, or whether it's unusual. Thanks in advance for any information!
oel
co-admin

Re: Dutch 1828 child's baptism commemoration cup

Post by oel »

Hi Historydetective,

Looking at your little silver goblet and to answer some of your questions; Minerva head with the regional assay office letter C for;’s-Gravenhage (The Hague). To me the date letter looks like the script-letter I for the year 1818. The maker’s mark T. over O in a lozenge for; Johannes Adrianus van der Toorn, registered in the city of The Hague with this particular mark during 1812/1838
The purpose of the little goblet with engraved initials; without date but with reference to ; Markus 16 verse 16 ; He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned, could be for remembrance/celebration of a Protestant tradition to reconfirm baptism, when grown up, and a renewed pledge towards the Protestant community. The little goblet could have been filled with wine or perhaps brandy.
However I leave it to you to do some more detective work. I have never seen these little goblets with reference to Markus 16 verse 16 before but….

Best

Oel.

PS. The lozenge (French tradition) has been used during the Batavian Republic (1795 -1806), a french satellite state and during the French Kingdom of Holland (1806-1813) When the French were defeated in 1813, a little later, the application of new lozenge shaped maker's mark were prohibited and by order in 1814 new maker's mark introduced. Makers'marks of the French type may remain in use until worn out.
historydetective

Re: Dutch 1828 child's baptism commemoration cup

Post by historydetective »

Oel, I am so appreciative of the information you provided. I agonized over the dates 1818, 1827, and 1828 as possibilities, so I defer to your superior expertise in deciding amongst those possibilities, and what you said about moving away from the French lozenge also makes 1818 the most logical.

I have wondered if the foliage depicted is a mustard plant as a metaphor for faith as referred to in the famous Biblical quote, "...if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, ...nothing will be impossible for you." The plant is referenced many other times in the Bible, as well.
The Ethiopian mustard plant:

Return to “Dutch Silver”