Small Box. Crowned 'B' mark, when and where made?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
magpie

Small Box. Crowned 'B' mark, when and where made?

Post by magpie »

Is this crowned 'B' mark that for Bergen, Norway? If not I may have listed this post in the wrong forum. The IT mark is stamped twice. Is this the maker's mark? I am not sure what the third mark is, perhaps part of a very ornate date letter? All marks are on the rim of the base. The box is 42mm diameter and the base looks the same as the lid.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It would be helpful if you provided links to the unreduced mark images.
Thanks, Tom
magpie

Improved Photos

Post by magpie »

I have posted some better photos of the marks and box in the hope that someone may be able to identify them. I saw the crowned 'B' in Tardy's book but have no access to information on Norwegian hallmarks. This post may belong somewhere else entirely. I believe the box is handmade and hand engraved. There are no marks on the lid. The marks are spread around the rim of the base.

magpie

Post by magpie »

I sent the following to Tosten;
'I see that you are in Norway and have offered advice on many forum posts. Have you had an opportunity to view my post "Small Box. Crowned 'B' mark, when and where made?" in the Scandinavian forum? I collect quite a lot of silver but have never seen marks like these. Your opinion would be much appreciated.'
The reply;
'The sort of box could be norwegian, but I do not think so.
The crowned B is not like the mark of Bergen.
One of the other marks should be the maker and the other one sholud be the "guardian" (the officiel guard).
In all my books I can not find either "IT" or "SS" ("PS").
So I do not think this is norwegian.
Kindly regards Tosten'
magpie

Post by magpie »

It has been suggested to me that my box is Dutch and that the crowned letter 'B', is a mark used between 1807 - 1812 denoting payment of duty.
Also that the silversmith is Johannes van der Toorn (1747-1832) who was a silversmith in The Hague.

Would anyone care to comment please? Is the third mark possibly a date letter?
magpie

Post by magpie »

I have seen the crowned 'B' in “Goud- en Zilvermerken van Voet”. I believe that is the mark on this box.
Assuming that the ‘IT’ is the maker’s mark, I have used the information in Karel Citroen's book “Dutch Goldsmiths’ and Silversmiths’ Marks and Names Prior to 1812” to narrow down the list of possible makers. I have worked out that there are four possibilities:

1 Breda 1807-1811 Jacobus Troost
2 ‘s-Gravenhage 1771-1811 Johannes van der Toorn II
3 Schoonhoven 1773-... Jan Teerling
4 Venlo 1800-1811 Johan Timmermans

I don't believe that Johannes van der Toorn II is the maker as I have seen an example and it is too different. If anyone has photos of any of the other maker's marks I would love to see them.
Is the third mark an italic capital 'R'?

Return to “Dutch Silver”