Belgium condiment set, maker unknown

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Georg

Belgium condiment set, maker unknown

Post by Georg »

Hi everybody,

Below, there is (a photo of) a condiment set, I have got lately as well as the marks I have been able to find there.

I believe that the first three marks identify this as Belgium 800/1000 or 833/1000 (I do not know which grade is correct) silver made between 1831 and 1868. Inside the helmet in the second mark, there is a letter L (or less likely it is I) that is supposed to identify the assay office (L for Namur and I for Louvain). Unfortunately, that is all I was able to find. I cannot identify the two other marks, the forth has been punched at the edge and it is almost illegible. One of them is probably the maker's.
Any help, especially with the maker identification, will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

G.

P.S. Is this the Biedermeier style?
oel
co-admin

Re: Belgium condiment set, maker unknown

Post by oel »

Hi Georg,

19th Century Louis XV/ Victorian style silver and crystal(glass) condiment set. Belgian hallmarks, period 1832-1869. Janus head for large silver work .833. The office mark or Minerva head wearing helmet, assay office letter D ? The sword mark for small silver work .833, here used on large work consisting of more than three parts interconnected by links. M in shield with two dots, the  assayer's mark of; Magis Maximilien Lambert, born in Liège ca 1806, assayer Liège office registered 4th June 1840-1873.  The regional assay office letter for Liège is the letter D. 

To me the maker's mark appears to be two initials under or above; crossed epee or a pair of (spread legs) scissors. Maker's mark unknown. Could you show a clear enhanced image of the maker's mark?

Peter

Source; Algemeen repertorium van de edelsmeden en van de merkenvan edelsmeedwerk in Belgie Walter van Dievoet II1798-1942
Georg

Re: Belgium condiment set, maker unknown

Post by Georg »

Hi again,

Thank you for your reply that clarified a lot.
I made a crispier photo of the fourth mark but I will not present it here as it brings no new information:
it turned out that the mark itself is blurred.
What I see is two blurred signs, probably letters, over open scissors.
Unfortunately, the letter within the helmet is L or I, and rather not D.
Again, I am very grateful for your time and expertise.

Kind regards,

G

Return to “Other Countries”