Marks on Dutch silver chatelain

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
OldSchool
contributor

Marks on Dutch silver chatelain

Post by OldSchool »

I am trying to identify the maker's marks on a Dutch silver chatelaine, possibly dating from 1841. I have created a composite image to show all the various marks, which include the typical dagger, the lion passant mark for 833 grade (pre-1953), the date letter "G" and, potentially, two maker's marks. Being a chatelaine, this doesn't seem improbable, given that the owner could add additional elements if she wished, but any pointers to either maker gratefully received.

Apologies for the poor quality, but hopefully clear enough.
OldSchool
contributor

Re: Marks on Dutch silver chatelaine

Post by OldSchool »

I think I have managed to track down one of the makers.

The letters inside the elongated cartouche, with the pointed ends (the last in the image above) read as WK122. I believe this is the mark of Willem Jansz Kooiman, a silversmith in Schoonhoven working from 1856 to 1886.
oel
co-admin

Re: Marks on Dutch silver chatelain

Post by oel »

Hi, better and clearer enhanced images are required for positive id. Year letter G for 1841

Peter
OldSchool
contributor

Post by OldSchool »

Thanks Peter. The only one I now need help with is the mark top-right, which has the initials JTS (or TJS) above a pair of crossed axes. I don't have access to better images - sorry.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, I wish it was that simple. The maker's mark appears to be JFS above crossed hammers for: Johannes Ferdinandus Smets, registered in Amsterdam. His mark seen in rectangle, square and lozenge, also seen .JFS. in rectangle with cut corners, also registered I.F.S. Amsterdam silver guild 1806-1811, active Amsterdam 1806-1846.

Maker's mark W.K 122 for Willem Jansz. Kooiman, registered in Schoonhoven 1856, died 1886. Willem took over the silver shop of his mother (widow of Jacob A. G. Kooiman (registered 1812- died 1853), after Willem Jan's death his wife continued the shop until she died in 1889. Maker's mark used K.122, K122, WK!, WK above arrow, WK 122 in rectangle with cut corners. After he died his widow used the maker's mark WK-S for widow Willem Jansz Kooiman-Schepp..

Peter

Sources; Netherland' responsibility marks from 1797 WaarborgHolland, Gouda
Zilversmeden van de Stad Schoonhoven by S. A. C Begeer, E. Hak & L. Linhart-du Cloux #153
OldSchool
contributor

Post by OldSchool »

That's brilliant Peter, thank you. I saw it as JTS, and crossed axes, but clearly it's JFS and hammers. Thanks also for confirming Kooiman for the second mark. You've been very helpful.
Renekappers

Post by Renekappers »

His correct name is Willem Kooiman Jacobszoon, or Willem Jacobszoon Kooiman. Begeer nr. 155.
Kind regards,
Rene Kappers
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

I received some more information of Rene Kappers;
Neither Netherland' responsibility marks from 1797 WaarborgHolland, Gouda nor
Zilversmeden van de Stad Schoonhoven by S. A. C Begeer, E. Hak & L. Linhart-du Cloux are correct for Willem Kooiman Jacobszoon.

Source; Rene Kappers, Graves Kooiman of Kooiman. Een dynastie van goud- en zilversmeden in Schoonhoven. Zilvercahier 4.0 (Schoonhoven sep 1998)

Return to “Dutch Silver”