Unidentified "RC & Crown" Hallmark on French Sterling .950 Silver Pierced Bon Bon Spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
NotMyEbayName

Unidentified "RC & Crown" Hallmark on French Sterling .950 Silver Pierced Bon Bon Spoon

Post by NotMyEbayName »

Hi guys,

Stumped on another hallmark here. This one is from what looks like a bon bon spoon. The mark almost looks Hanau-ish, but this has been x-rayed and assessed to be .950 silver which seems to rule that out. The piece looks French, with the figure and the style of the bowl piercings, and the "R E" with the crown almost looks like some marks that were in use between 1788-1792, during the French Revolution. Other than that, I don't have many clues as I was not able to find this maker's mark during my research. Hoping that someone who knows a little more than I do may be able to give me some insight on makers/dates/regions. Thanks to anyone who can help!

NotMyEbayName

Re: Unidentified "RC & Crown" Hallmark on French Sterling .950 Silver Pierced Bon Bon Spoon

Post by NotMyEbayName »

Not sure if those images were properly posted, so here's the raw imgur link if they didn't: https://imgur.com/a/8q00KNa
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Unidentified "RC & Crown" Hallmark on French Sterling .950 Silver Pierced Bon Bon Spoon

Post by dognose »

Please embed your images.

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, it is a Dutch silver sugar casting spoon made by the Frisian silversmith Richaeus Elgersma II, maker's mark RE (script) under crown. Registered in the city of Leeuwarden 1760-1781.
The stem curls back with a dancing putto on the curl with a flower in each hand.

In the province of Friesland during the guild time, for silver of the first standard minimum 934/000 or higher the following marks were used; maker’s mark, the town mark, year letter and province mark
For example:
Clock wise; maker's mark IF for; Johannes Feddema, registered in Leeuwarden from1780-1811. Lion rampant in a crowned shield, guild city mark for Leeuwarden (assay office) used as of 1779 till 1802.The Frisian province mark; two lions in a crowned shield, to indicate 1st standard or 934/1000 fineness. And the Frisian date letter H for 1785.
Silver of a lower grade, below 934/000, often around 800-850/000 maker’s mark only and no assay thus no assay office mark.
If you say your test results are 950/000, although not impossible, I should re-test and before check testing equipment.

Peter.
NotMyEbayName

Post by NotMyEbayName »

Thank you Dognose and Oel!

So it is Dutch then. The fact that there was only one hallmark threw me off from considering that.

Thanks again for the information.

Return to “Dutch Silver”