Dutch Spoon gelegenheidslepel

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ErwinSnellen

Dutch Spoon gelegenheidslepel

Postby ErwinSnellen » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:02 pm

Hello,

I have a Dutch spoon (gelegenheidslepel). It looks old but I can not find no hallmarks so it seams to be not marked. Can somebody give me more information about which time this spoon was probably made? And if it is possible who was the maker?

Many thanks!

oel
co-admin

Re: Dutch Spoon gelegenheidslepel

Postby oel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:05 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum. Dutch ornamental spoon or presentation spoon for a special occasion.
The spoon's finial showing William & Mary to remember ( celebrate ) the marriage of William III and Mary, the 4th November 1677.
William and Mary refers to the coregency of King William III and Queen Mary II. (Both were heirs to the British throne: William was the only child of William II, Prince of Orange and Mary, Princess of Orange, daughter of King Charles I of England. Mary was the eldest daughter of the Duke of York (the future King James II & VII).)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_III_of_England

Without marks it is impossible to identify the maker of your spoon. These silver cast ornamental spoons are still made today.

Peter.

ErwinSnellen

Postby ErwinSnellen » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:11 pm

Thank you for your reply. After close observation I noticed traces of gilding. Is this common for these spoons? Does that may be tell more about the period that it was made? Or which place?

oel
co-admin

Postby oel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:44 am

Yes, some are gilded, sometimes only the inside of the spoon's bowl is gilded. My best guess your spoon is made in the Dutch province of Friesland (Frisia), late 18th to early 19th century. What is the weight of the spoon, below 51 gram?

Peter.

Return to “Dutch Silver”