Please help with hallmark on this clock

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dxb

Please help with hallmark on this clock

Post by dxb »

I have had this little clock for many years. I hope I am correct in thinking that it is sterling and made in Birmingham in 1907 - if I am wrong, apologies and please correct me. I am new to this. But who is the maker? It looks like K & S to me but I cannot identify this. Many thanks for any help.

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Please help with hallmark on this clock

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes, the hallmark is Birmingham, 1907/08. Strictly speaking this shows that it was assayed at Birmingham, not made there. Unfortunately the maker's (or sponsor's) mark is not listed in any of the published references so I am unable to identify them. Are there any clues on the clock movement? It would probably be too much to expect the movement to be signed by a company with the same initials!

Phil
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello dxb and good morning Phil. Is this a genuine mark or is it possible the maker could be "& son" but the sponsor or retailer has overstruck the "K" on the first part of the makers mark? This would make it difficult to sort. It would be a pity as the clock certainly looks a pleasure to own.

Fishless
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Depends how idle you are; sponsor`s mark has distinctive form of a flag, there is ..& S.
If you open Birmingham makers marks, every letter starts with e.g. A&, B&, D& etc.
It would take time, but it is possible to identify the sponsor or at least the best candidate for ...&S. who worked in 1907/1908.
Letter K is most likely the retailer.
As suggested, the mechanism is often engraved with maker`s mark, but it could be totally different from both the silversmith and the retailer.
Regards
dxb

Post by dxb »

I do have the time to go through all the Birmingham maker's marks and will do that.

The mechanism is a puzzle for me - there is a key on the back of the case but I've never seen where to wind it so I never have - it's been sitting unwound for the 50 years that I've had it. Now that you've confirmed that it is sterling I will probably take it to a clockmaker. Up until yesterday I never knew if it was worth anything although I always enjoyed looking at it.

Thanks for your information and suggestions. It's been very interesting trying to figure this out.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I'm not sure where you are going to find "all the Birmingham makers' marks" but if it's my site I can tell you that there is no "something & S" mark matching the flag shape. I still think that "K&S" is the whole mark, firstly because there is no sign (to my eyes anyway) of any overstrike marks, secondly because the putative 2 marks are extremely well aligned and thirdly because any overstrike would most likely consist of more than one letter.

Phil

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”