Trying to id the sterling of an encased 1887 Gilded Shilling

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GABatGH

Trying to id the sterling of an encased 1887 Gilded Shilling

Post by GABatGH »

This thing has me baffled.

This is a beautiful item. It is a 1887 Shilling, the Queen Victoria “jubilee” head type, that was gilded, then enameled, then encased in sterling and glass. At the top there's a hole that suggests there might have been a bail making this a pendant. At the very bottom there are three hallmarks. One has proven to be almost completely impossible to photograph. I have tried a number of different methods, including my usb microscope.

I think the leftmost mark, the one hardest to capture, is HH, then there's a vary chubby anchor, and on the other side of the ball is a lower case a.

Now In Birmingham there is Hannah Howard, HH, and the a *could* be 1900 and the anchor *could* be for Birmingham. That would also make this piece being made thirteen years after the coin was minted and in itself seems odd. With all of those could's, that's why I brought it here...
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Trying to id the sterling of an encased 1887 Gilded Shilling

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I can confirm that the hallmark is definitely Birmingham 1900. However your guess at HH is going to be wide of the mark. Hannah Howard was working as a watch case maker in the first part of the 19th century so HH cannot be her on the basis of both date and the fact that case makers seldom made anything other than watch cases. Unfortunately Birmingham marks for this period are not well documented so I am unable to suggest a name to go with the initials.

Phil
GABatGH

Post by GABatGH »

silvermakersmarks wrote:I can confirm that the hallmark is definitely Birmingham 1900. However your guess at HH is going to be wide of the mark. Hannah Howard was working as a watch case maker in the first part of the 19th century so HH cannot be her on the basis of both date and the fact that case makers seldom made anything other than watch cases. Unfortunately Birmingham marks for this period are not well documented so I am unable to suggest a name to go with the initials.

Phil
Meh.

So that chubby anchor is typical of the time, huh. Hmmm.

I really need to figure out a way to get a good pic of that maker's mark. What with it being in the corner, and it being so tiny, and with that ball there, and with the years of crud on it...
GABatGH

Post by GABatGH »

I've also been wondering if there is yet another mark to the right of the anchor to the left of that ball. There's something there but it may not be a hallmark.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

There should be a lion passant (for sterling silver) somewhere - perhaps that's what it is? The silver desperately needs a clean; with a bit of luck the marks will be a bit more evident once you have done that.

Phil

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”