antique sterling english tweezers - need help with markings

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
lms2394

antique sterling english tweezers - need help with markings

Post by lms2394 »

Hi,
I have recently acquired these old sterling tweezers, but am having a hard time identifying the maker. I believe they are from England. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.njweb.biz/glass/tweezersMarkings4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.njweb.biz/glass/tweezersMarkings5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.njweb.biz/glass/tweezersMarkings2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks so much for any and all help :)

Lisa
lms2394

great resource

Post by lms2394 »

thanks for your link - yes, I did try to find it in there and what I found out was that the marks indicate that the item from Birmingham, sterling silver and made around 1908. I was unable to find the maker which I guess would be the "H" mark on the tweezers.

Lisa
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Hi Lisa

I'm not sure that "H" is the maker's mark; you see, single letter maker's marks are almost always very early (as in the 1600's) - the rise of many different makers meant that marks became 2 letters (or more). My monitor is not the best - is there any other mark near it? Personally, given the difference between the hallmarks (re location), I'm tempted to speculate that it was made in Birmingham, but not marked with the maker's mark, instead it was designed for export overseas and the H is either the sponsor's mark (on importing the pieces), or a foreign date letter.

Just some idle thoughts

Waylander
lms2394

thanks so much

Post by lms2394 »

what I ended up finding out from some digging is that there is an anchor mark next to the lion passant. The markings from left to right are, anchor, lion passant and lower case "i". From my digging, I found out that they are probably from Birmingham, definitely sterling and made around 1908. Someone said they think the maker may be H. Matthews, but I don't see an "M" next to the "H". I really appreciate your help and will continue my search to find out who "H" is. Thanks again :) Lisa
lms2394

identifying can be grueling!

Post by lms2394 »

If you have any other tips or ideas on the details of these markings, definitely post them as I feel this may take some time to dig to the bottom of this :)

thanks again!
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Lisa

H. Mathews' mark is definately HM. Very puzzling. If you can't find the answer on this forum, try http://www.smpub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Waylander
io

Post by io »

Hi,
Waylander is right, a single letter maker's mark is very, very unusual on post 17th century items.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I see another faint mark between the Birmingham anchor and the H mark, I'm guessing it is the maker's mark. Any chance of a close-up pic from the anchor to the H?

io
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Ah, your eyes are better than mine io.....I didn't notice it.....

Waylander
kaz

Re: thanks so much

Post by kaz »

lms2394 wrote:Someone said they think the maker may be H. Matthews, but I don't see an "M" next to the "H". I really appreciate your help and will continue my search to find out who "H" is. Thanks again :) Lisa
when i looked at the 'H' mark i actually thought it looked like an 'H' with an 'M' printed over it. Anyone else see it like that?
lms2394

Post by lms2394 »

I have been trying to get a close up pic and my goodness is it difficult. I reallly appreciate everyone's help on this :) Thanks again everyone!!

Lisa
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Lisa,
Let's recap, we know that the three black arrowed marks tell us it is Birmingham, Sterling and 1908. The concensus about the H mark, and I agree, is that it is not a maker's mark. IO has pointed out that there is another mark (here circled in red), that is your maker's mark. Try rubbing the marks with a cotton Q tip, this will highlight the high points and give you more contrast for a clearer photo. Maybe then we'll be able to identify the maker. As to what the H mark is, I don't know, but I want to and we'll all continue the search.
Best, Tom
lms2394

will try the q-tip trick

Post by lms2394 »

I will be trying the q-tip trick to make that mark more visible. Will post a pic as soon as I can get a good one and then hopefully we can all solve this mystery :)

Stay tuned....

Lisa

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”