help identifying makers mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
kazz939

help identifying makers mark

Post by kazz939 »

Hi i have been researching a hand mirror which belonged to my nan and possibly her mum before her. I was told by a jeweller that the year was 1857 but on researching i think if it was made then it should have a duty mark which it doesn't....am i right and therefore the year is wrong. Im pretty certain it is birmingham and silver but i also cant seem to locate the makers mark. Can you help me with this?

admin
Site Admin

Re: help identifying makers mark

Post by admin »

Can you help me with this?
We'd love to, but you'll have to help make that possible by submitting a reasonably sized image of the marks.
kazz939

Post by kazz939 »

hope this is better ...im not too good with this sort of thing
spobby
contributor

Post by spobby »

I make this a lower case 'r' for 1916, with the maker's mark of Jones & Crompton of Spencer Street, Birmingham; subsequently Harford Street, Birmingham.
Regards
John
kazz939

Post by kazz939 »

thank you very helpful though the letter looks like a capital I to me
kazz939

Post by kazz939 »

when you look at the letter the right way up it looks abit like a T but you can see there is a line at the bottom but the stamp kinda goes onto a raised part.
I've just had a reply from birmingham assay and they seem to think its 1910 so l now im even more confused but i do agree jones and compton
spobby
contributor

Post by spobby »

My eyesight isn't what it was at the best of times. It may, as you suggest, even be a 'T' for 1943, but these guys didn't seem to operate then. Their registration was from between 1901 & 1932.
If the assay office say 'L' then go with that, as it fits with their time frame.
Best regards
John

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”