Adie & Lovekin Button hook help

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
selinkyble

Adie & Lovekin Button hook help

Post by selinkyble »

I have come across this 2" glove button hook. Weight 5 grams. It seems to be stamped ALLD for Adie & Lovekin to the hook, but there is no hallmark anywhere. It does test as silver and it does have a steel inner (magnet tested with weak response) to the hook and handle. I am not aware that Adie & Lovekin made silver plated items. The handle does look moulded in two pieces, so not really a typical silver plated piece. Their small hooks would usually be hollow silver handle and steel hook or hollow silver hook. This button hook is really puzzling me. Did A&L make any sort of steel core items?Any A&L experts out there who can help? Thank you.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Adie & Lovekin Button hook help

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

The handle would be manufactured out of two pieces of formed sheet silver and filled with a setting compound to which the steel hook was inserted. At that size, the amount of silver required to make the handle would fall under the weight requirements for compulsory hallmarking.

If you ever come across a similar article that is hallmarked and wondered why, then this would have been submitted voluntarily by the maker, and often was, and an aid to marketing.

Your item may well have part of a set with some of the other items hallmarked.

Trev.
selinkyble

Post by selinkyble »

Hi Trev
Thank you. Sorry, I should have said, I'm a button hook expert. That would not be the case here. Any A&L experts out there?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I'm a button hook expert.
Wow! Well, I guess there's loads of questions on the forum that you're just itching to answer!

Trev.

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”