Fish server, London

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Juke
contributor

Fish server, London

Post by Juke »

I have a fish server which has been made in London in 1839. I was wondering who the maker WK is? I would also like to know the name of the pattern. If there is any idea about the crest it would be interested to know.

Regards,
Juhana
buckler

Post by buckler »

Probably William King (Grimwade 3215). first mark as goldworker April 1820 at 39 Red Cross Street ,Cripplegate. Moved successively to 15 and 18 Bridgewater Square, Barbican , then 14 Red Lion Street, Holborn . Second mark (the one on this piece) November 1826 as plateworker at 9 Sutton Street, Clerkenwell. Third mark, again as goldworker 1829 and again at 14 Red Lion Street. Moved to 11, Tavistock Row ,Covent Garden in 1834 where he stayed until 1843 ,presumably till his death or retirement . Information from Grimwade .
The re-occurence of 14 Red Lion Street suggests he may have had two premises, one perhaps for goldsmiths work, or a retail shop, and a larger premises for platework. An Edwardian essay on shoebuckles in "Queen " gives him as a silver bucklemaker but I have seen no evidence, or WK marked buckles to support this
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

The pattern is called “Kings”. Originally designed in 1817 by Charles & Henry Lias for the Prince Regent, later to become George IV.
Juke
contributor

Post by Juke »

Thanks both for the detailed and excellent replies, very much appreciated!

Regards,
Juhana

Return to “London Hallmarks”