Marrow Scoop. Help with Makers Mark please.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
oldbiscuit

Marrow Scoop. Help with Makers Mark please.

Post by oldbiscuit »

Here is the Marrow Scoop that I recently purchased. I know that it is London 1757, but cant identify the makers mark.
Does it say GS? Would be grateful for any help.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/ ... ver050.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(admin photo edit - images too large - link only - see Posting Requirements)
oldbiscuit

Marrow Scoop Marks

Post by oldbiscuit »

...Now the picture of the marks.

buckler

Post by buckler »

GS on spoons and buckles normally refers to the second or third George Smith. The slightly sloping back S is generally accepted as one of George Smith 2 's numerous marks , but I cannot recall ever seeing one with the indented top to the punch and he was principally a bucklemaker. George Smith 3 was a spoon maker but again I have no record of that top indented punch for him. George Smith 4 ,another spoonmaker had such a punch , but as this was only registered in 1799 (Grimwade 899) this is not compatible with your date. Are you certain of the date - if Smith 4 there will obvoiusly be a duty George Head on the piece.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,
I think this could well be George Smith the first using a cut down punch from his partnership with Samuel Smith the Third (Grimwade 908) the partnership was disolved in 1754 so this would be a good fit datewise.
I should imagine punches were expensive to produce then and would not be surprised if he would not want to waste one from this fairly short lived partnership,
Regards Trev.
oldbiscuit

Post by oldbiscuit »

Here is full hallmark.Image
buckler

Post by buckler »

Dognose has a good theory - if the Assay office could alter the Duty George Head by in 1797 and others by filing small nicks to signify a different rate of duty, the George Smith 1 could easily alter a four lobed punch (Grimwade 908) to a horizontal punch. He may well not have bothered to re -register it - more expense and time wasted on bureacracy .
Sounds like a man after my own heart. !

Return to “London Hallmarks”