1700s Communion Cup Markings

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Vsabre

1700s Communion Cup Markings

Post by Vsabre »

All,
Thanks for allowing me to join and ask for some help. The markings on the attached picture are from a communion cup at a church in VA. The church is over 250 years old and this cup has been in their possession since that time. One picture shows the side with 4 markings: Birmingham Anchor, the date letter G which I've assumed indicates 1779, unidentified mark, and the London passant lion. The makers initials are on the bottom and are G*S.

It appears there may have been two assays on this piece for tax collection but I'm guessing.

I would welcome the communities input so I can help the church get a better picture of what they have.

Thanks!
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: 1700s Communion Cup Markings

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It would probably help if you could show a picture of the G*S mark which you mention. At first glance the anchor mark does not seem to match any Birmingham anchor and the lion passant looks like the one used on London hallmarks from 1739 to 1755.

Phil
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Looks like London T J maker.1766..1769
Where are 4 Birminghnam marks ?
Regards
Vsabre

Post by Vsabre »

silvermakersmarks wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum.

It would probably help if you could show a picture of the G*S mark which you mention. At first glance the anchor mark does not seem to match any Birmingham anchor and the lion passant looks like the one used on London hallmarks from 1739 to 1755.

Phil
Phil,
Thanks for the feedback and super quick input. Here's a picture from the bottom with the makers mark:
Vsabre

Post by Vsabre »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Regards
Sorry if I wasn't clear. From left to right: The first mark looks very much like an anchor (Birmingham), the second mark while faint is a G which I understood to be a date mark, the third mark is obviously the most difficult but could be the London Leopard and the fourth mark I interpreted as the London Lion for the London Assay Office.

Thanks for taking a look!
Vsabre

Post by Vsabre »

Vsabre wrote:
AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Regards
Sorry if I wasn't clear. From left to right: The first mark looks very much like an anchor (Birmingham), the second mark while faint is a G which I understood to be a date mark, the third mark is obviously the most difficult but could be the London Leopard and the fourth mark I interpreted as the London Lion for the London Assay Office.

Thanks for taking a look!
Of course now looking at it and magnifying the first mark it could very well be lettering rather than an anchor.....

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

The G*S mark is a bit of a red herring. It takes the form which we usually attribute to a marriage mark; i.e. celebrating the marriage of Mr G to Miss S.

However I think I may have solved the "anchor" mark mystery. I reckon it's the maker's mark of Thomas Mason. I played about a bit with the mark to correct the distortion and to bring out the mark better:

and here is my image of Thomas Mason's mark which he registered in 1745:

I can see most of the "T" and part of the "M".

Unfortunately the "G" mark, which is actually the date letter, is too worn to make out enough detail. The full cycle (A to U/V) of date letters for this set can be seen here but I can't pick out any which might show up as seen in the picture.

In summary then: This sterling silver cup or beaker was made by, or in the workshop of, Thomas Mason and assayed in London between 1745 and 1755.

Phil
Vsabre

Post by Vsabre »

silvermakersmarks wrote:The G*S mark is a bit of a red herring. It takes the form which we usually attribute to a marriage mark; i.e. celebrating the marriage of Mr G to Miss S.

However I think I may have solved the "anchor" mark mystery. I reckon it's the maker's mark of Thomas Mason. I played about a bit with the mark to correct the distortion and to bring out the mark better:

and here is my image of Thomas Mason's mark which he registered in 1745:

I can see most of the "T" and part of the "M".

Unfortunately the "G" mark, which is actually the date letter, is too worn to make out enough detail. The full cycle (A to U/V) of date letters for this set can be seen here but I can't pick out any which might show up as seen in the picture.

In summary then: This sterling silver cup or beaker was made by, or in the workshop of, Thomas Mason and assayed in London between 1745 and 1755.

Phil
Thank you so much for the great detective work and spot on regarding your interpretation! The dates match up with the initiation of the church in 1747 and I'll be able to go back and see if we can determine the significance of the G*S with regards to local individuals during that time.

Excellent work!

Cheers...

Return to “London Hallmarks”