shobby1947

casters appreciate any info observations

Post by shobby1947 »

ImageImage[/img]

Aguest
contributor

Re: casters appreciate any info observations

Post by Aguest »

::::: If you see "SW" then there are a few candidates and I think that's what I see but the makers mark has been obscured by the stamping. :::::
::::: Do you think you see "SW" as a maker's mark? :::::
shobby1947

Post by shobby1947 »

many thanks for your response
I cannot see anything I do not have the expertise/experience
I am trying to educate myself on the finer points of photography so that my postings allow those who are experienced a better chance

the reasons for my postings are that I am attempting to catalogue my various collections so that my sons can make sense and be aware of their inheritance..
christian
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::: We know they are 2 sugar casters (also known as "muffineers") from London circa 1750, and if you think there is a vertical slash in the middle of the letter "C" which is the "date letter" then that would mean they were assayed in 1758. But I can't be sure of the date letter. The hallmarks on the bottom of these mid-18th-century sugar casters can be hard to read. The makers mark is really difficult but I think the last letter is a "W" for what it's worth. :::

:::: Other experts may chime in and be of further assistance. :::::::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: Now it seems like 1738 is a better choice for the date mark, a few other details point towards 1738. The shape of the cartouche of the "crowned leopard head" has a point at the bottom and that speaks to an earlier series which includes 1738. These sugar casters can be very difficult because the marks are stamped in such a small area. ::::

:::: Samuel Wood was a prolific caster maker at this time and he has a mark from 1737 that seems to match the "W" in your makers mark but the problem is I cannot see the letter that precedes the "W" but it's possible that Samuel Wood made this sugar caster in 1738. If someone is able to better see the hallmarks then it would be great to hear a second opinion. These hallmarks are difficult for me. :::::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: Do you see how the tops of the sugar casters are removed? If you are able to remove the tops of the sugar casters you should see additional hallmarks around the edge of the tops of the sugar casters. I should have remembered that earlier. The mystery could be solved if you are able to remove the tops of the sugar casters and look at the hallmarks. :::::
shobby1947

Post by shobby1947 »

Aguest removed caster tops see images very tight i think hallmarks completely worn but 1 caster shows partial lion
many thanks

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::: I was thinking the tops would be tight. Thanks for doing that and reporting back with pictures. Best guess at this point is that your date letter "C" is the date letter is for 1738 and the maker is Samuel Wood. ::::

Return to “London Hallmarks”