Please identify the silver (?) marks on this Pepperette

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
emptguy

Please identify the silver (?) marks on this Pepperette

Post by emptguy »

Hello forum,

I picked this little item up yesterday in an antiques shop and believe it to be silver. I can't identify any of the marks though. It's around 8.5 cm from the base to the tip of the finial.

The clearest mark is what looks like a Griffin's head. There's also a female figure I think. The other two are more difficult to describe. I've photographed all four in situ and then each individual one on what might be the right way up!

Is it silver and if so can you tell me anything about the marks?

Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Thank you in anticipation,

Ian T
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Please identify the silver (?) marks on this Pepperette

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Yes, this is silver. It is Britannia standard silver (958 as opposed to sterling 925). The seated woman is the figure of Britannia and the Griffin is actually the leopard's head erased symbol of the London Assay Office used for Britannia standard silver. The date letter "I" is 1724/25. The last mark is the maker's mark. I don't recognise it immediately so will do some research to try to find it.

Phil
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I think the maker's mark (slightly distorted) is that of George Greenhill Jones:

Makers' marks of that period on Britannia standard silver were the first 2 letters of the maker's surname but I and J were interchangeable.
emptguy

Post by emptguy »

Phil,

I'm blown away, thank you.

I have to say I hadn't realised it could be that old so didn't research further back the 19th century.

Thank you again for your help.

Ian T

Return to “London Hallmarks”