Old Silver spoon.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jobstodo

Old Silver spoon.

Post by jobstodo »

Hello,
Hope you are all well,
I purchased this spoon with some scrap Silver and the moment I saw it I fell in love with it,
how did it manage to survive? after having such a hard life?
would anybody have any ideas about it's history, age, maker,
I have been reading Ian Pickford's , Silver flatware , English , Irish and Scottish 1660-1980 and the tips I have picked up seem
to give it a rough date of around 1740 ish but I am very new to this fantastic Silver world and I would be very grateful for any
information on my fantastic spoon.
Kind regards,
Ronnie.
PS, it's not for or ever will be for sale. ( LOL )Image

Sasropakis
contributor

Re: Old Silver spoon.

Post by Sasropakis »

It's a typical 18th century Hanoverian pattern spoon. The hallmarks are pretty worn but there appears to be the lion passant and leopard's head for London. The date letter is only partially visible but I would say it's probably from the 1756-75 cycle and definitely pre-1784 when the duty mark (soveraign's head) was introduced. You could try to find a match by comparing the date letter chart and the spoon side by side. The maker's mark is the fourth one but it's pretty much unrecognizable. Although the spoon has some damage I'm glad to hear that it's going to be saved from scrapping.
jobstodo

Post by jobstodo »

Hello Sasropakis,

Many thanks for your expert opinion,
It makes you wonder how the spoon bowl broke in half, who broke it and what was there response?
to me it's a great find and a keeper.
Kind regards,
Ronnie.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

If we examine the shape of the cartouche of the hallmark where the shaft meets the bowl, that seems like the date letter hallmark. ::::
The actual date letter is so squashed and smushed it is impossible for me to figure out which letter it is, but we do have a somewhat crisp outline of the cartouche used and judging by the angles of the cartouche is seems like the date letter series for 1739-1755 ::: There is a very distinctive shape of the cartouche used during the years 1739-1755 and I think that's what I see when looking at the date letter (if that is the date letter). :::: The city mark is assumed to be London and it does sort of look like London although again that hallmark is severely squashed and smushed. ::::
jobstodo

Post by jobstodo »

Hello Aguest,
Very sorry for not getting back to you sooner with a big thank you for your comments on my spoon,
if you see the third picture down their appears to be what looks like either the top half of a lower case q or the bottom half
of a b,
I have been trying to find a date for the spoon with that mark and I thought the mark nearest the spoons bowl was possibly a makers mark.
We will probably never know for sure but it's still a fantastic survivor and a keeper.
Once again many thanks for your valuable comments and time.
Have a great Christmas and fantastic new year.
Kind regards,
Ronnie.
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

I think Aguest is correct with the earlier date letter series. I tried to figure out which letter it could be but it's rather difficult when you can't even be sure for it's orientation. "b" and "q" are good candidates but it could also be "e" for 1740. The mark nearest to the bowl it probably the maker's mark. The shape looks rather peculiar (unless it's caused by some damage) so that would be the only faint chance to identify the maker.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

This length of spoon (7-1/4 inches approximately) is often described as a "dessert spoon" so if you want to find spoons of similar length and shape from approximately 1750 you can just search "dessert spoon 1750" and you will see similar spoons. ::: Many of the makers from around this time are difficult to identify because there are documents listing the silversmiths who worked on small items have been lost. ::: Even the most reliable book on London silver makers marks (Grimwade's) does not show many of these hallmarks of silversmiths who worked on small items like spoons and such:

Quoting the great Buckler:

"Grimwade's masterly work on London Makers 1697 - 1837 has three major omissions :-
(a) Marks in the two Lost Registers of 1739 - 1758 (smallworkers) and 1758 -1773 (largeworkers) . Grimwade provided from other evidence many of the Largeworkers marks but little on the Smallworkers
(b) Many of the minor small workers marks are not illustrated and can cause considerable doubt and confusion.
(c) Many smiths with an existing mark did not register new, and sometimes totally different punches. A larger number than is realised just did not bother."
jobstodo

Post by jobstodo »

Hello Sasropakis and Aguest,

I really do thank you both for all the fantastic information you have given regarding the old broken and repaired spoon,
Has the spoon got magical powers ?
I really think it's strange that it's not the best looker in the world of spoons but it has survived over 270 ish years.
The spoon refuses to go to the pot.
It a keeper.
Kind regards to you both and thank you for all the research you have both done,
Hope you both have a fantastic Christmas and the best ever new year,
Ronnie.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Return to “London Hallmarks”